“We have 916 pages of slogans, and not much else.”

IMWAN Admin
 Post subject: [2012-10-09] The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" DVD, Blu-ray and Deluxe Box Set (Capitol)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:18 am 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice
From the left -- DVD, Blu-ray, Deluxe Box Set:

IMWAN Admin
 Post subject: [2012-10-09] The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" DVD, Blu-ray and Deluxe Box Set (Capitol)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:19 am 
Helpful Librarian

Quote:
EXPANDED VERSION OF THE BEATLES' 'LET IT BE' DVD MAY BE OUT IN 2013

The long wait for Beatles fans to finally own the Let It Be movie on DVD may soon be over, according to Beatles Examiner. The movie's director, Michael Lindsey-Hogg, spilled the beans while appearing on WNYC-FM while promoting his new memoir, Luck And Circumstance: A Coming Of Age In Hollywood, New York, And Points Beyond.

Hogg answered a caller's question about the film, and recalled he and Paul McCartney discussing the film's eventual reissue: "We bumped into each other on an airplane. It was just before George Harrison died. George was very ill. And George had not had a happy time during the making of Let It Be. For personal reasons. He was about to go out on his own and a lot of other things like that. And we knew it probably would not be re-released in George's lifetime. But, we have been been working on it pretty much every year for the last couple of years. And the plan is, at the moment, to have it come out, I think, in 2013."

Hogg, who also directed the Rolling Stones' 1968 Rock And Roll Circus -- along wit assorted Beatles and McCartney videos -- went on to say, "(Let It Be will come) after they release Magical Mystery Tour as a special DVD release. And it'll be the film itself, the original film -- the color's great, the soundtrack is perfect -- with a (second) DVD which will be a documentary about the making of the documentary (Let It Be)."

He added that numerous outtakes will be added to the upcoming Let It Be DVD: "When we first put Let It Be out, I had to cut out a lot of stuff that I really like and wanted to stay in there. The stuff in the new DVD has a lot of the stuff that had to be cut out. So for me, it's like the egg is now complete."

George Harrison explained that the Beatles regrouping in January 1969 before the cameras was a 'worst case scenario' situation for him: "I just spent, like the last six months producing an album of this fella named Jackie Lomax and hanging out with Bob Dylan and the band in Woodstock -- and having a great time. And for me to come back into the winter of discontent with the Beatles in Twickenham (Film Studios) was, it was very unhealthy and unhappy."

Ringo Starr's former producer and songwriting partner Mark Hudson remembers Ringo saying that up until the Beatles' split, they always knew how to pull it together musically: "Like Ringo said, 'With all of the stuff that was going on during (the) Let It Be (sessions), the arguments and George leaving, as soon as I would count the song off and we would start playing, we were those guys again in Hamburg and in the Cavern (Club), and all that went away and we were that great band. And then when that song was over, we went back to that 'I don't like you, I don't trust you, why are you hurting me, and that.'"

http://www.kshe95.com/musicnews/story.aspx?ID=1558052

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:35 am 
The Pope of Pop!

Bannings: Banned??? Moi???
Note to self: Do NOT fork over 100+ dollars for expensive box set versions that will later show up in the discount bins (see Help!, e.g.)

Otherwise, I'll take one of each please. If and when...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:17 pm 
I HATE BRICKWALLED MUSIC AND CORPORATIONS!

I'll believe LIB when i see it; but if Harrison was the cause of the hold up, that would make sense. Why they need until 2013 though......?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:23 pm 

Geff R. wrote:
I'll believe LIB when i see it; but if Harrison was the cause of the hold up, that would make sense. Why they need until 2013 though......?

Maybe they're planning a 10th Anniversary Edition of "Let It Be...Naked".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:29 am 

This must be some special release, if they've been working on it each year for the last few years, and we won't see it until 2013.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:35 pm 
CD collector

I remember reading they had 4 or 5 DVDs of footage from the Let It Be project plus a few more CDs of unreleased music, looks like yet another very expensive super deluxe box set.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:58 pm 

I've seen the laser disc. I would buy a quality dvd of LIB, but the original movie is already boring enough, it doesn't need to be much longer!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:02 pm 

Geff R. wrote:
I've seen the laser disc. I would buy a quality dvd of LIB, but the original movie is already boring enough, it doesn't need to be much longer!

I respectfully disagree Geff...I thought Let It Be was great to watch. Seeing how they work and argue together made it very interesting. I hope the bonus material does not include Yoko screaming into a mike while John plays the guitar. That'll be a fast forward moment for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 pm 

I'm hoping they'll do a Blu ray of both of these.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:23 pm 
Super Genius

I don't think I've ever seen more than clips from LIB, but I totally geek out over the in-the-studio footage. Of just about anybody. I'll probably be in for this - maybe not a super deluxe box, but at least a DVD.

Alan

"Keepin' it classy, all the way to Christmas!" - Craig Ferguson

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:03 pm 
I have no fear of this machine

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20120517

Quote:
There are lots of Beatles concerts on film and tape. Do you ever think about putting them all out?
Everything that the Beatles ever did, that we were involved in, is out. What isn't out?

Everything's been bootlegged, but aren't there lots of shows you guys haven't released?
Well, there's the Hollywood Bowl, Shea, what else is there? We didn't even get the last concert in San Francisco. We didn't film it. So I don't know what films you're talking about. Unless you're talking about two people with cameras that were filming from the audience. Now there's a thousand phones held up and they just film you. But that's okay. That's how it goes.

Are you thinking about releasing the Let It Be movie on DVD?
I think that's also a possibility. One day that will come out. But we're not talking about it right now. As you know, there's very little that hasn't come out. I'd forgotten that one though. You just mentioned the one thing that hasn't come out. I'm too busy living now…

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:16 am 

A reissue of The Beatles‘ 1967 Magical Mystery Tour film is coming to DVD and Blu-ray on 8 October 2012 (9 Oct in the US).

This new issue will boast bonus features that include a full length ‘director’s commentary’ by Paul McCartney (the film’s actual director is officially ‘The Beatles’), a making of documentary and the promo of Hello Goodbye.

Magical Mystery Tour debuted on British television on Boxing Day 1967 when it was broadcast in black and white to a rather bemused audience.

Full DVD / Blu-ray details below:
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (FEATURE) with optional director’s commentary by Paul McCartney (53.22)
YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW (2.38)
BLUE JAY WAY (3.55)
THE FOOL ON THE HILL (3.01)
NAT’S DREAM (1.59.07)
I’M GOING IN A FIELD – IVOR CUTLER (2.39)
HERE WE GO ROUND THE MULBERRY BUSH – TRAFFIC (2.38)
THE MAKING OF MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (19.01)
RINGO THE ACTOR (2.22)
THE CAST (10.53)
HELLO GOODBYE (3.35)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:11 am 
Zappateer

Bannings: Banned from Fenway Park
This is my fault - early this year I broke down and purchased a boot version of Yellow Submarine, MMT and Let It Be. I said when I was paying for them at the register - Now they will be released.

-- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm 
Pure Evil Gold!!

Bannings: Ask Linda
Robert Meagher wrote:
This is my fault - early this year I broke down and purchased a boot version of Yellow Submarine, MMT and Let It Be. I said when I was paying for them at the register - Now they will be released.

Think you could break down and buy a boot version of KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park, Robert?

:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:46 pm 

Back in the days when I had both cable TV and a VCR that knew how to program, I recorded "Magical Mystery Tour" off of the Disney Channel, but when I sat down later to watch it...I don't think I made through much more than the first ten or fifteen minutes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 pm 

From RollingStone.com:

The Beatles are releasing a restored version of their classic 1967 film, Magical Mystery Tour. The film, written and directed by the band, has been long out of print, but will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray. There's also a combined deluxe box set featuring both versions, along with a 60-page book and a reproduction of the mono double seven-inch vinyl EP containing the film's six Beatles songs: "Magical Mystery Tour," "The Fool On The Hill," "I Am The Walrus," "Flying," "Blue Jay Way" and "Your Mother Should Know." The EP was originally issued in the U.K. in 1967 to accompany the movie.

Profile E-mail  

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 pm 
Helpful Librarian

All three versions are now linked in the first post. Here's what the Deluxe Box Set looks like (click to embiggen):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RTE066/?tag=imwan-20

Resized Image - Click For Actual Size

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 pm 

Nice. Deluxe for me. The price is reasonable. Gotta have the vinyl.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 pm 

Problem is imo the movie sucks.................. If the blu includes the ALBUM in 96/24 or better I might be interested

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 pm 
Boney Fingers Jones

MMT was my favorite Beatles album when I was a young teen so the deluxe edition is very enticing.

ELP

“You can't have everything. Where would you put it?”—Steven Wright

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:03 am 

From superdeluxeedition.com:

As previously revealed on this blog, The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour film is coming Blu-ray (and DVD) on 8 October (worldwide) and 9 October in North America – the news is now official.

Even better news is that as well as standard releases on DVD and Blu-ray, a special, boxed deluxe edition will also be available with the following contents:
• Set housed in a 10″x10″ box
• Both DVD and Blu-ray included
• 60-page book with background information, photographs and documentation from the production,
• A faithful reproduction of the mono double 7″ vinyl EP of the film’s six new Beatles songs, originally issued in the UK to complement the film’s 1967 release!

The film has been fully restored by Paul Rutan Jr. of Eque Inc., the same company that handled the much acclaimed restoration of Yellow Submarine. The soundtrack has been remixed into 5.1 surround. This work was done at Abbey Road Studios by Giles Martin and Sam Okell. This means DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 for the Blu-ray.

Go to page 1, 2  ( Next )

Who is WANline