“Same WAN-time, same WAN-channel.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 29  ( Previous  |  Next )
 Post subject: [2011-11-01] The Beach Boys "The SMiLE Sessions" (Capitol/EMI)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:37 am 
I have no fear of this machine

So how is "editing to get the best of the sessions" down from 7 to 5 discs any different than leaving out 2 discs' worth of material? Such language hardly implies completeness.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 pm 

Tricky Kid wrote:
So how is "editing to get the best of the sessions" down from 7 to 5 discs any different than leaving out 2 discs' worth of material? Such language hardly implies completeness.

What he's saying is that nothing essential was left off from those 7 discs -- what was trimmed was probably mostly (if not all) breakdowns, false starts, and studio banter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:48 am 
Righteous seeker of truth

Tricky Kid wrote:

The original plan was for three CDs - to me that looks like trading up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:38 am 

None of that even matters.
SMiLE is coming!
SMiLE is just one month away.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:16 pm 

I sure wish the price would drop back to $110 or close to it.

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:29 am 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice
Not quite there yet, but Amazon USA's pre-order prices have just dropped again:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:12 pm 

A brief update, the SmileySmile forum is back online(though the rest of the website is still being rebuilt). Those forums(no NOT this one!) who were uncomfortable about having these "Smile" fanatics on their forums can now breath a sigh of relief.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 am 

Hi guys,

I've posted a portion of my interview with Beach Boys' engineer Mark Linett. The direct link is:

http://www.iconfetch.com/tonys-blog/410 ... inett.html

There was some concern raised on the Hoffman board over a quote from Mark that I posted about having to whittle the set down from "seven or eight roughly-edited CDs" to five. Some people were worried that they had to leave off material in order to conform to the five discs. Mark clears that up in the interview.

If someone could repost on the Hoffman board, that'd be great. I've joined, but am still awaiting approval.

Thanks,

Tony

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:34 pm 
I have no fear of this machine

Okay, so I listened to the interview. I understand that the scope of the box was increased from the initial plan for 3 discs, but it seems pretty clear from Linett's recorded comments that at least some alternate takes (complete? incomplete? who knows?) and studio chatter are not included in the final product.

Mark Linett wrote:
No, not of additional sessions or songs, or anything like that. I mean, somebody's favorite Take 12 of Session 20... I can't guarantee that that's all there, and obviously some of the comedy and spoken word things are not there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:32 pm 

Tricky Kid wrote:
Okay, so I listened to the interview. I understand that the scope of the box was increased from the initial plan for 3 discs, but it seems pretty clear from Linett's recorded comments that at least some alternate takes (complete? incomplete? who knows?) and studio chatter are not included in the final product.

Mark Linett wrote:
No, not of additional sessions or songs, or anything like that. I mean, somebody's favorite Take 12 of Session 20... I can't guarantee that that's all there, and obviously some of the comedy and spoken word things are not there.

Well, of COURSE "some" things were left out of the final product -- did anyone think that every second of every SMiLE session was going to be included? What Linett meant was that (in his opinion) nothing of vital importance was left off. Here's what Mark told Billboard back in March:

Quote:
The boxset will present hopefully all of the [50] recording sessions [which comprise 30 hours] but do it in a condensed form so what the listener hears is like being the fly on the wall; so the listener hears the most important and most interesting parts musically and also the interaction between Brian and the group and the musician.

Mark's "mistake" (I hesitate to call it that) was using "CD" as a unit of measure -- e.g., "We had 7 or 8 CDs and whittled it down to five." That makes people freak out, thinking that they "should" be getting an 8-CD set. That's not how it is. He had 30 hours of sessions to work with, but no one thought he was starting with a 20-CD set and working his way down. If anything, he has INCREASED the scope of this set, twice. It was originally envisioned (in 1997) as a three-CD set, and in March 2011 when it was discussed in Billboard it was a 4-CD set -- and even then I noticed that Mark said he would need "at least" four CDs to cover the sessions. We should be overjoyed that we are getting five discs of SMiLE, and not quibbling about what precious studio banter might have gotten cut.

Profile E-mail  

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:11 pm 

I agree. We were NEVER going to get 7 or 8 CDs regardless of how much raw material they found. We all need to focus on the fact that the SMiLE team was able to INCREASE the planned disc count from 3 to 5, rather than the fact that we're not getting every scrap of raw material they found for the project.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 am 

Hey guys,

I'm currently editing my interview with Mark Linett, who helped co-produce the new SMiLE Sessions. I also just had a lengthy chat with Domenic Priore, the foremost authority on everything SMiLE. That interview will be posted soon. I've given a little sneak preview on my blog:

http://www.iconfetch.com/tonys-blog/413 ... ost-5.html

I'm also finalizing other interviews with musicians who either played on the sessions or had a chance to hear the work in progress. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Tony

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 pm 

BlowItOutaHere.com has the box set on sale for $113.42 right now. Then if you add in promo code PUMPKIN10 (for 10% off your order), that brings the pre-tax, pre-shipping cost to $102.08. If you do the Super Saver Shipping ($1.98), it comes out to $104.06. This beats even Amazon's best deal so far.

http://www.blowitoutahere.com/the-beach ... 9902765822

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:49 am 

hey, Phil - remember how you were scrabbling for something to bitch about and latched onto the absence of the 1967 salesman's promo ?

Disc 1 - "28 Capitol Smile Promo (Hidden Track) - 1:01"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

I know - it's childish and undignified... and I don't give a flying f***, 'cause you've been consistently wrong concerning every single thing you've complained about regarding this box. Captiol Records/rational world 1, Phil Cohen 0. :lmao:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:38 am 

I like the "Smile Promo" as a historical artifact, and as a reminder that the "Smile" album didn't happen in its time, and as you know ,it is the opening track on my "Smile" 2-CD fan compilation. As for my expectations of Capitol's box, I'm being realistic. Darian Sahanaja's recent comments suggest that Capitol(despite an extensive search) only found a very small quantity of unheard material. Oh well, at least I'll have a few more CD's(and pieces of "Smile" memorabilia) to add to my collection.....unless Capitol does some last minute postponement. But if the release goes ahead as scheduled, it will be interesting to see how close Capitol can come to Nov.1st, and still fully avoid the material leaking. My guess: Up to 7 to 10 days before release; until the product arrives at independant(not Capitol-owned) distributors.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:26 am 

Remember Phil (and everyone), Darian didn't say there was no UNBOOTED material found, just that there were no mind-blowing discoveries (1966 lead vocals for "Cabinessence," vocal tracks for "Barnyard" or "Look," rough mixes of "The Elements," etc.) that would have altered what BWPS became. There's still the possibility of plenty of stuff that WE haven't heard. Here's the full quote from Darian:

Quote:
No. Nothing major [was discovered since we worked on BWPS in 2003]. Perhaps a few variations here and there, but nothing that would have altered the making of Brian Wilson Presents Smile. I think back in the ‘60s some tapes were pilfered, and it was also sort of standard practice for tapes to be recorded over. So if you think you’re not going to use a take, just record over it. I know that Capitol exhausted every nook and cranny hoping to find any revelations. They put out feelers to anyone and everyone who may have had tapes or acetates and with the exception of a few novelties, nothing of any great musical weight surfaced.

P.S. -- "last minute postponement"? Phil, you are nothing if not consistent. :ohyes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:23 pm 

Sean Murdock wrote:
Remember Phil (and everyone), Darian didn't say there was no UNBOOTED material found, just that there were no mind-blowing discoveries (1966 lead vocals for "Cabinessence," vocal tracks for "Barnyard" or "Look," rough mixes of "The Elements," etc.) that would have altered what BWPS became. There's still the possibility of plenty of stuff that WE haven't heard. Here's the full quote from Darian:

Quote:
No. Nothing major [was discovered since we worked on BWPS in 2003]. Perhaps a few variations here and there, but nothing that would have altered the making of Brian Wilson Presents Smile. I think back in the ‘60s some tapes were pilfered, and it was also sort of standard practice for tapes to be recorded over. So if you think you’re not going to use a take, just record over it. I know that Capitol exhausted every nook and cranny hoping to find any revelations. They put out feelers to anyone and everyone who may have had tapes or acetates and with the exception of a few novelties, nothing of any great musical weight surfaced.

P.S. -- "last minute postponement"? Phil, you are nothing if not consistent. :ohyes:

As some famous Middle of The Road/Las Vegas singer said, in the 1960's, "I Gotta Be Me !"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:51 am 

Didn't that same singer opine, "What Kind of Fool Am I"? ;-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:38 pm 

Schads wrote:
Didn't that same singer opine, "What Kind of Fool Am I"? ;-)

Uh, yeah.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:51 am 

Phil Cohen wrote:
But if the release goes ahead as scheduled, it will be interesting to see how close Capitol can come to Nov.1st, and still fully avoid the material leaking. My guess: Up to 7 to 10 days before release; until the product arrives at independant(not Capitol-owned) distributors.

Ah... I see... so where your tune used to be "it's not happening, the project's in trouble, it'll never be released", now it's "let's see how close we can get to the release date before it leaks."

If there was a World Back-pedalling Championship, you'd be a guaranteed finalist. :thumbsup:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:11 am 

The five months of defiant silence(when it was originally stated that a tracklist would be announced "soon") was legitimate reason to worry. You(who were not contractually bound to secrecy) could have revealed some information, but you chose not to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:17 am 
CD collector

Seriously when this comes out it will be great, I'm looking forward to this as I believe Smile was very innovative and contains some great music.

Peace and love :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

Go to page 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 29  ( Previous  |  Next )

Who is WANline