“Ooh Hoo! Bouncy!”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  ( Previous )
 Post subject: Best Buy
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:27 pm 
In time out

I was at the local Best Buy yesterday to price some equipment. As others have reported, I noticed the CDs have now made their way to the back of the store. For what it's worth, they had Led Zeppelin in the Z section.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:39 pm 

Glenn S. wrote:
I was at the local Best Buy yesterday to price some equipment. As others have reported, I noticed the CDs have now made their way to the back of the store. For what it's worth, they had Led Zeppelin in the Z section.

Says it all! :ohno:

Rick A.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:44 pm 
I HATE BRICKWALLED MUSIC AND CORPORATIONS!

And Pink Floyd is in the F's & Jethro Tull in the T's.......... :sigh:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:14 pm 
Super Genius

Well, I can remember being in a Camelot and hearing employees debate about where Johnny Winter CDs belonged. Then again, I've been in stores where people asked employees questions and I was the one who could answer them. My favorite was, again, at a Camelot (I used to go to those a lot!) in the early-mid 90s - a woman was asking about a song she heard on the radio, "a guy singing, something about night". The employee started looking at the CD and cassette singles, and I said, "Benny Mardones, 'Into The Night'?" She said, "That's it! I really like that song!" The employee's jaw dropped. But then my inner me came out, and I couldn't help myself. I said, "Yeah - it was just as good when it first came out about 10 years ago."

"Keepin' it classy, all the way to Christmas!" - Craig Ferguson

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:26 pm 
Paroled evil genius

Glenn S. wrote:
As others have reported, I noticed the CDs have now made their way to the back of the store.

I was just in my local store a few days ago. The CDs are still towards the front, but now make up about 10% of the store. As recently as 5 years ago they took up about half of the floorspace.

Browsing through the discs, I realized that about 90% of them had to meet at least one of these criteria:

1) greatest hits album
2) released within the last year
3) released by one of the top 100 selling artists of all time

Not gonna find lesser-known albums or artists there anymore. The movie score/soundtrack section was about 10% the size of what is was just a few years ago.

Depressing.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 pm 

My local BB has always had cd's in the back, but the section shrunk by around 80% or more in the last 2 years. Video (DVD/blu) has been moved from the front tot the back & is also approaching having shrunk by 80% or so.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Walmart's rack jobber is now doing BB. That explains quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:20 pm 

In my opinion, Walmart now has one of the better brick & mortar CD selections of the national big-box stores (WM, BB, Target, Barnes & Noble). That's a reflection of how far the category has fallen. I guess what bugs me most is how these stores shrink their CD sections to almost nothing and then complain about how CD sales continue to plummet. :think:

Jim

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm 

FYE still has an ok (I did say "ok", not "great") selection, but other than sale items they're not competitive price wise.

IMWAN Mod
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:24 am 
The Modfather; Wizard of WAN

Bannings: freely handed out
Brick and mortar stores are largely irrelevant to me for retail purchases. Why would I go to Best Buy when I can browse Amazon at home, actually hear samples of songs from the CDs I'm perusing, and order immediately, without getting dressed? :) Now I like a good old fashioned non-chain record store, and I pop in our local shop every now and then to browse for more obscure stuff or just to satisfy the urge to wander amongst actual physical things I can flip through. But the chains and big box stores are out, for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:28 am 
In time out

JGordonBD wrote:
In my opinion, Walmart now has one of the better brick & mortar CD selections of the national big-box stores (WM, BB, Target, Barnes & Noble). That's a reflection of how far the category has fallen. I guess what bugs me most is how these stores shrink their CD sections to almost nothing and then complain about how CD sales continue to plummet. :think:

Jim

The Walmart closest to me actually has a slightly better selection than the Best Buy.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:32 am 
Fake Yankee Stadium fail!

Geff R. wrote:

Everybody else may have hated it, but Pink Uncle Floyd and Jethro was my favorite TV show of the 1980s. :yay:

When things are going bad I try to rationalize them by thinking “Oh well, what’ll it matter in a hundred years.” In a hundred years maybe it won’t matter, but the trouble is that in the next few hours or days or weeks it matters a lot. - Harvey Pekar

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:48 am 

Gary Dunaier wrote:
Geff R. wrote:

Everybody else may have hated it, but Pink Uncle Floyd and Jethro was my favorite TV show of the 1980s. :yay:

i had friend that always called jethro tull, jethro bodine!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:05 am 

JGordonBD wrote:

Jim

I'm currently visiting a state with no sales tax, and am telling myself that this is where I finally need to go to Walmart with about fifty bucks or so and load up on all of the old albums that I was never compelled to purchase at full price--for $5 each. Mostly stuff like the Doors, KISS, Aerosmith, AC/DC, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:09 pm 

Brainiac McGee wrote:
JGordonBD wrote:

Jim

I'm currently visiting a state with no sales tax, and am telling myself that this is where I finally need to go to Walmart with about fifty bucks or so and load up on all of the old albums that I was never compelled to purchase at full price--for $5 each. Mostly stuff like the Doors, KISS, Aerosmith, AC/DC, etc.

Good idea.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:07 pm 

I second that (e)motion.

Rick A.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:43 pm 
SQUIRREL!

Renny wrote:
Gary Dunaier wrote:
Geff R. wrote:

i had friend that always called jethro tull, jethro bodine!

Tom: "Uh, Joel, what are boobs?"
Joel: "You know, like Jethro Bodine?"
Tom: "Ah. Boobs."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:45 pm 
In time out

Stopped in the local Best Buy today to pick up a gift card for a relative and noticed most of their catalog CD's had new price stickers covering the old ones. At least on the budget CD's it looked like they had gone up by a dollar, and I suspect the other titles have similar increases. If they haven't already driven CD buyers away with their paltry selection, this should do it for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:16 pm 

I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of pricing collusion going on; including at minimum the USA labels, Walmart, Best Buy & Super D.

If I'm right, I suspect Amazon would eventually file a law suit against whoever the offenders are.

Go to page 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  ( Previous )

Who is WANline