“In your Easter WANnet!”

If you've seen the serial, select one of the following:
Great stuff and worth owning 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Watchable with very good moments 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
Only for die-hard fans of the genre/character 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Blechk: couldn't get passed the first chapter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
So truly awful that you can't look away 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Movie Serial: Perils of the Darkest Jungle (The Tiger Woman)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:06 am 
Rugged Indoorsman

Title: Perils of the Darkest Jungle (The Tiger Woman)
Chapters: 12
Company: Republic
Release Date: 1951 (1944)

Cast: Allan Lane
Linda Stirling
Duncan Renaldo
George J. Lewis
LeRoy Mason
Crane Whitley
Robert Frazer
Stanley Price

Plot: Two rival oil companies compete in South America (?) for rite of passage through a local tribe's
lands to precious oil lands beyond. The agents of one of the companies are willing to lie, cheat, and
kill to achieve their goals. Trying to stop them is the Tiger Woman, the leader of the local tribe, a
mysterious white woman who might or might not also be a lost heiress to a fortune in the United States.

My copy was of the 1951 rerelease, so I don't know if the original 1944 version was any different.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 am 
Rugged Indoorsman

This is a good, fast-paced serial. For Linda Stirling, former model, this is her first major movie
role, and she does quite well as the Tiger Woman. You can see why the audience loved her: beautiful,
likable, and quite convincing (with some help from stuntwoman Babe DeFreest) even during the physical
challenges. This Tigress rides horses, swings from vines, shoots, uses judo, and isn't afraid to mix
it up with the big boys.

No doubt many fans would have preferred their new jungle goddess to be a little more savage, or to wear
a skimpier, torned fur bikini, or something like that, but I find Tiger Woman's jungle attire charming:
practical boots, flimsy long sleeved shirt, fur cuffed gloves, and leopard-print skirt. Wait, did I say
"leopard"? Well, jaguar, maybe. They do pretty much call any big cat in South America a "tigre," don't
they? Regardless, with her cute, cat-earred cap, she definitely looks more like a date to a halloween
party than she does a jungle Queen. Still, its a good overall look, and this serial has helped to win me
over as a fan. And you can see why Republic immediately cast her again in Zorro's Black Whip. But, as I
bought that serial 25 years ago expecting a Zorro movie, I kind of grew to resent Linda because of that
misnamed movie. Now, however, after I've been seeing more of her work, I think she's definitely deserving
of the title that many give her: Queen of the Serials.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 am 
Rugged Indoorsman

Tiger Woman is aided by her followers, a tannish-brown tribe who seem to dress as Aztecs indoors, but as
Navaho outdoors. She is their leader, and they worship her as the White Sky Goddess, the Tiger Woman. 15
years earlier, she and her wealthy father were lost in the jungle after parachuting from a failing airplane.
Whether or not she is heiress to a vast fortune becomes a major plot point, and the criminals lose interest
in their company's oil plans as they hope instead to acquire evidence of Toger Woman's true identity. Then
they plan to replace her with an actress who works for them.

Tiger Woman's allies include Allen Saunders (later B-Western star Allan "Rocky" Lane, and, later still,
the voice for TV's Mr. Ed), who has been hired by the Inter Ocean Oil Company to troubleshoot their
interests in the region. Lane is certainly heroic looking and has a good physical presence. Assisting him
is Jose (Duncan Renaldo, later TV's The Cisco Kid), who gives a relaxed, convincing performance. And it's
a welcome change of pace here that the woman in the serial isn't always needing to be rescued; she even
occasionally rescues the men. However, she does get tied up often and tends to knock out easily.

The opposition is a nice collection of serial actors: George J. Lewis, LeRoy Mason, Crane Whitley, and
Stanley Price. And, as is normal for many Republic serials, Tom Steele (veteran stuntman of over 250
movies) doubles for the hero (Lane) but also serves as one of the lesser henchmen. Theo Lydecker provides
miniatures and special effects, and we have some nice cliffhangers: hero being dropped into a fire pit as
a sacrifice (which has a very nice resolution at the start of Chapter 2), cave ins, burning tunnel shafts,
falling elevators, exploding trucks, exploding boats, exploding buildings, exploding airplanes, exploding
oil derrick, exploding mini torpedoes, and even a runaway mine shaft car.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 am 
Rugged Indoorsman

This serial racks up an impressive body count on both sides: tribal warriors, local law enforcement,
hired thugs, oil field workers, and more. And this serial has a considerable amount of villains shot by
their own men (just as the hero spins them around), as well as the most gun misfires or out-of-ammo
moments I've ever seen. However, they make up for it by effectively hitting people with the thrown
guns. (That almost never seems to work in any other movie).

It's interesting that the heroine actually kills the "evil white men" she captures. I guess it happens
often enough that it's well known in the neighboring lands: “Once the Tiger Woman gets her hands on
a white man, it’s the end.” She also seemed to take a little sadistic glee when a couple of villains were
crushed to death by falling stalactites—-"a trap" they had meant for Tiger Woman and Allen Sauders.

What would I change? Not too much. I would have liked to have seen Tiger Woman be even more
physical in the fights: just a well-placed punch or kick or two would have been enough. But, given the
time of this movie's release, it's surprising how much actual fighting that she did.

There is also a brief moment where the criminals think that Tiger Woman is dead, but their leader speaks
of later storming her temple and making her give them what they want. Umm, hello? What? Maybe he
meant to say "force her people"? Oh, and how about some Darkest Forest? For some reason when
Republic rereleashed this serial, they renamed it from "The Tiger Woman" to "Perils of the Darkest
Jungle." But there isn't much jungle in this movie at all. Almost everything but: frontier town, oil field,
caves, temple, mining shafts, rivers and lakes, and a typical "western movie" setting. Republic also
cut the serial into a movie called "Jungle Gold." I guess they mean "oil," but maybe they edited in some
gold treasure for that movie. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 am 
Rugged Indoorsman

Who is WANline