Bob Dylan has been cleared of any involvement in a prank at a Massachusetts pizza parlour.
A man claiming to be part of the singer-songwriter's crew ordered 178 extra large gourmet pizzas but never picked them up. He had shown a backstage pass to staff and said the food was for an after-party following Dylan's gig at the Mullins Center last month.
The total cost of the pizzas came to $3,900 (£2,500) and workers at Antonio's pizza parlour in Amherst had worked until 5.30am the next day to complete the order.
The man in question was captured on a surveillance camera and was eventually identified as having no affiliation with Dylan.
As AmherstBulletin.com reports, the 46-year-old from East Brunswick, New Jersey has now struck a deal with Antonio's, although there has been no official announcement on how much he will have to pay them.
Got an e-mail promoting the Dylan "Box Of VIsion". It looks interesting, and although it doesn't appear to include space for the "Bootleg Series" discs, I did glimpse a slot for the 1973 "Dylan" album.
Bob Dylan has been cleared to play a series of gigs in China - but will apparently have to stick to a setlist approved by the country's government.
The singer axed a series of dates in east Asia last year after being refused entry to play in China.
However, he has now been given the green light to perform in Beijing between March 30 and April 12 by China's Ministry Of Culture, according to Billboard.com.
Chinese ticketing website Mypiao.com is listing concerts at Beijing Railway Station on April 6 and 8.
No specifics of any agreement with Ministry officials over the setlist have yet been announced, nor has Dylan commented on the government announcement.
Songs such as 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' and 'Blowin' In The Wind', which have strong ties with the American civil rights and anti-war movements of the 1960s, were thought to have been met with resistance from China's censors.
Speaking at the time of the Chinese cancellations last year, Jeffry Wu, head of operations at his promoter Brokers Brothers Herald, said the country's officials had become more cautious after Bjork caused a stir when she performed 'Declare Independence In Shanghai' in 2008.
Dylan will also play at rearranged gigs in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore next month.
Bob Dylan has been cleared to play a series of gigs in China - but will apparently have to stick to a setlist approved by the country's government.
The singer axed a series of dates in east Asia last year after being refused entry to play in China.
However, he has now been given the green light to perform in Beijing between March 30 and April 12 by China's Ministry Of Culture, according to Billboard.com.
Chinese ticketing website http://www.mypiao.com is listing concerts at Beijing Railway Station on April 6 and 8.
No specifics of any agreement with Ministry officials over the setlist have yet been announced, nor has Dylan commented on the government announcement.
Songs such as 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' and 'Blowin' In The Wind', which have strong ties with the American civil rights and anti-war movements of the 1960s, were thought to have been met with resistance from China's censors.
Speaking at the time of the Chinese cancellations last year, Jeffry Wu, head of operations at his promoter Brokers Brothers Herald, said the country's officials had become more cautious after Bjork caused a stir when she performed 'Declare Independence In Shanghai' in 2008.
Dylan will also play at rearranged gigs in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore next month.
Bob Dylan played his first ever gig in China last night (April 6).
He was able to perform in the country's capital city Beijing after agreeing to play a set that had been pre-approved by Chinese authorities.
The pre-approved setlist was agreed after an attempt by promoters to bring the folk legend to China failed in 2010. Permission was denied then by the country's Culture Ministry, which must approve every concert that takes place in China.
The approval meant that Dylan could not play any material that the authorities deemed politically sensitive, such as the song 'The Times They Are A-Changin'.
According to Billboard, Dylan played for two hours in the 5,000-capacity Workers Gymnasium. He played a career-spanning set which included 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'All Along The Watchtower' and 'Highway 61 Revisited'.
Bob Dylan played:
'Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking' 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue' 'Beyond The Horizon' 'Tangled Up In Blue' 'Honest With Me' 'Simple Twist Of Fate' 'Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum' 'Love Sick' 'Rollin' And Tumblin' 'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall' 'Highway 61 Revisited' 'Spirit On The Water' 'Thunder On The Mountain' 'Ballad Of A Thin Man' 'Like A Rolling Stone' 'All Along The Watchtower' 'Forever Young'
Bob Dylan played his first ever gig in Vietnam tonight (April 10).
The legendary singer played a 17-song set to around 4,000 fans at RMIT University in Ho Chi Minh City, reports BBC News.
He played tracks such as 'Jolene' and 'Like A Rolling Stone' during the gig, along with more recent material such as 2009's 'Beyond Here Lies Nothing'.
However, songs which came to be associated with the anti-Vietnam war protest movement of the 1960s - such as 'Blowin' In The Wind' and 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' - were not performed.
The show's setlist had to be approved in advance by the communist country's government, although promoter Rod Quinton claimed that no restrictions were actually imposed.
Bob Dylan played:
'Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking' 'It Ain't Me, Babe' 'Beyond Here Lies Nothin'' 'Tangled Up In Blue' 'Honest With Me' 'Simple Twist Of Fate' 'Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum' 'Love Sick' 'The Levee's Gonna Break' 'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall' 'Highway 61 Revisited' 'Spirit On The Water' 'My Wife's Home Town' 'Jolene' 'Ballad Of A Thin Man' 'Like A Rolling Stone' 'All Along The Watchtower' 'Forever Young'
Earlier this week (April 6), Bob Dylan play his first ever gig in China, where his setlist was also vetted.
This meant he was not able to play any songs which the authorities deemed to be politically sensitive, such as 'The Times They Are A-Changin''.
Bob Dylan has denied that he allowed the Chinese government to censor his gigs in the country last month.
It had been widely reported that Dylan had submitted his setlist to the Chinese government before he played the shows in Beijing and Shanghai, but the folk legend has now said that was not the case. He did, however, say he submitted his setlists from his previous three months of gigging.
Writing on his official website, Bobdylan.com, he wrote: "As far as censorship goes, the Chinese government had asked for the names of the songs that I would be playing. There's no logical answer to that, so we sent them the set lists from the previous three months."
He added: "If there were any songs, verses or lines censored, nobody ever told me about it and we played all the songs that we intended to play."
Dylan also took issue with reports suggesting he'd been banned from playing in China previously, writing: "First of all, we were never denied permission to play in China. This was all drummed up by a Chinese promoter who was trying to get me to come there after playing Japan and Korea. We had no intention of playing China at that time."
He also denied reports that his concert in Beijing was poorly attended, writing: "According to Mojo, the concerts had a lot of empty seats. Not true. Out of 13,000 seats we sold about 12,000 of them, and the rest of the tickets were given away to orphanages."
I'm not sure why this was such a big surprise. I have at least a couple of books that talk about how the "dealing with slaves" lines in Tangled Up In Blue are a coded reference to his heroin addiction. I don't know if the lines deal with the problem but his addiction seems to have been at least available if not common knowledge.
_________________ Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
What's odd is that Duluth, Minnesota, where Dylan was born, has a "Bob Dylan Way" and just staged a first annual Dylanfest to celebrate his 70th birthday, yet Dylan reportedly has never endorsed nor even acknowledged any of this.
Bob Dylan accused of plagiarism at New York art show
Bob Dylan has been accused of plagiarism by the art world, following his Asia Series exhibition, which opened at the Gagosian Gallery in New York last week.
The series of 18 works created during his tour of the continent in 2009 and 2010 apparently features spot on copies of photographic images taken by the likes of Henri Cartier-Bresson, Dmitri Kessel and Léon Busy.
Since its opening on September 20, visitors have been commenting on the similarities between Dylan’s paintings and a host of classic photos, reports the Guardian. A fan called Okinawa Soba has also claimed that six off the paintings are direct copies of photos hosted on his Flickr account.
Meanwhile, Dylan is due to play a seven-date UK and Ireland tour next month. He will kick off the jaunt at Dublin's O2 Arena (October 6) before moving on to gigs in Glasgow, Manchester, Nottingham, Cardiff and Bournemouth.
Grammy-winning music executive Don DeVito, who produced Bob Dylan albums Blood on the Tracks and Desire has died aged 72.
In a statement, Columbia Records said DeVito had suffered from prostate cancer for the past 16 years.
During his career, the producer worked with many other artists including Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel and Aerosmith.
The Recording Academy said DeVito was "a multifaceted talent" who "made a lasting impact on our industry".
DeVito spent his entire career at Columbia Records after starting off as a trainee at CBS Records - which later became Columbia - and went on to become one of the label's most influential executives and producers.
He helped to create albums that would become a part of music history including Dylan's 1976 album Desire, 1978's Street-Legal and two live albums, Hard Rain and At Budokan.
The producer, who retired four years ago, won a Grammy in 1989 for his work on Folkways - A Vision Shared: A Tribute to Woody Guthrie And Leadbelly.
He is survived by his wife Carolyn and two children, Marissa and James.
Bob Dylan’s ‘Blood on the Tracks’ album to be made into a movie Brazilian production group to adapt 1975 classic for big screen
At the very least, the upcoming movie adaptation of Bob Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" will boast a heck of a soundtrack.
Brazilian production company RT Features announced Thursday that it was purchasing the film rights to the seminal 1975 album, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The film will be shot in English to give it worldwide distribution potential.
"Blood on the Tracks," which was recorded in part at A&R Recording Studios in New York City, went double-platinum and is considered by many music critics to be the best albums of all time.
"As long time admirers of one of the greatest albums in the history of music, we feel privileged to be making this film," said co-producer Rodrigo Teixeira in a statement.
"Our goal is to work with a filmmaker who can create a classic drama with characters and an environment that capture the feelings that the album inspires in all fans."
Author acknowledges fake Dylan quotes, resigns Hillel Italie, AP National Writer Monday, July 30, 2012
NEW YORK (AP) — A staff writer for The New Yorker has resigned and his best-selling book has been halted after he acknowledged inventing quotes by Bob Dylan.
Jonah Lehrer released a statement Monday through his publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, saying that some Dylan quotes appearing in Imagine: How Creativity Works did "not exist." Others were "unintentional misquotations, or represented improper combinations of previously existing quotes."
Lehrer said he acknowledged his actions after being contacted by Michael Moynihan of the online publication Tablet Magazine, which earlier Monday released an in-depth story on the Dylan passages in Imagine.
"I told Mr. Moynihan that they (the quotes in question) were from archival interview footage provided to me by Dylan's representatives. This was a lie spoken in a moment of panic. When Mr. Moynihan followed up, I continued to lie, and say things I should not have said," Lehrer wrote in his statement.
"The lies are over now. I understand the gravity of my position. I want to apologize to everyone I have let down, especially my editors and readers."
Houghton Mifflin said in a statement that Lehrer had committed a "serious misuse." Listings for the e-book edition of Imagine will be removed and shipments of the physical book have been stopped. Imagine, published in March, has sold more than 200,000 copies, according to Houghton Mifflin. It has spent 16 weeks on The New York Times' hardcover nonfiction bestseller list and ranked No. 105 on Amazon.com as of midday Monday. Amazon had cited the book as among the best March releases.
A spokesman for Dylan did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Over the past decade, numerous books have been pulled, whether because of lifting material from other sources (Q.R. Markham's Assassin of Secrets) or fabricating events (James Frey's A Million Little Pieces). Canceled books inevitably lead to calls for publishers to fact check releases. But publishers say the time and expense of reviewing thousands of texts, on a vast range of subjects, makes the process impractical.
"Publishing books is fundamentally different from publishing a newspaper or magazine," Bruce Nichols, Houghton Mifflin's senior vice president and publisher of adult trade books, said in a statement. "We rely on the authors' contractual warranties that the work is original and, for non-fiction, accurate.
"Nonetheless we consider accuracy and originality to be essential standards, and whenever any of our authors transgresses these standards we take it very seriously."
The 31-year-old Lehrer had been a rising star at The New Yorker, which is famous for its thorough fact checking. But he was already in trouble with the magazine after he acknowledged last month that he had recycled passages he had written for previous publications. Some recycled passages also appeared in Imagine, the latest of three books by Lehrer, who is known for his explorations of science and literature and how the mind works.
"This is a terrifically sad situation, but, in the end, what is most important is the integrity of what we publish and what we stand for," said New Yorker Editor David Remnick.
Among Lehrer's inventions was a quote that first appeared in the famous documentary from the mid-1960s, Don't Look Back, in which Dylan tells a reporter about his songs that "I just write them. There's no great message." In Imagine, Lehrer adds a third sentence — "Stop asking me to explain" — that does not appear in the film.
According to Tablet, Lehrer also invented quotes on how Dylan wrote "Like a Rolling Stone" and, when confronted about them, alleged that he had been granted access to an uncut version of No Direction Home, a Dylan documentary made by Martin Scorsese. Lehrer now says he never saw such footage.
Dylan himself has been challenged about his use of material. His album Modern Times included lines lifted from blues songs and from the Civil War poet Henry Timrod. An exhibit of paintings by the rock star turned out to contain images from other sources.
Users browsing this forum: Amazon [Bot], Apple [Bot] and 1 guest
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot post attachments in this forum