“Adding fools to the foyer.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 32  ( Previous  |  Next )
 Post subject: [2014-01-21] The Beatles "The US Albums" (Apple/Universal)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:53 am 
I have no fear of this machine

David Beller wrote:
Let me start by saying I am 66. I have an extremely vivid memory of driving my mom's Mercury Comet near our home one Saturday morning almost exactly fifty years ago, listening to one of the two AM rock radio stations in Cleveland, Ohio and on came I Want to Hold Your Hand and I got a big smile on my face and turned it up to eleven. All these years later when I hear that song the vision of that moment pops into my head and the smile immediately returns. That's what Beatles music means to me. It's the joy of remembering it when it was new. And when it was new in January of 1964 it was in mono. Our 45s were mono, our LPs (a rare purchase) were mono, our record players were mono and our radios were mono. The Beatles music I remember until probably around 1967 was mono. When I listen to the Beatles now I listen to the mono versions up until about Sgt. Pepper because those are the mixes I remember. Every little difference in the stereo mixes of the earlier albums catches my ear and takes me out of the joy of listening. I do appreciate the new mixes that were done in 2009 as they just sound so much better than the CDs originally released in '87. However, when I hear Roll Over Beethoven end the next thing I expect to hear is the harmonica playing the opening notes of Thank You Girl, just as it is on The Beatles Second Album and not the guitar at the beginning of Hold Me Tight as it is on the British With The Beatles because that's not what I remember. It's not what is ingrained in my memory. It's not what makes me smile that fond memory smile. And that's why I will eagerly await the delivery of the U.S. Albums box at my house on the 21st, not to mention the fact that I will have a copy of The Beatles Story, perhaps one of the most rushed together, sloppy pieces of money grubbing crap Capitol could come up with in as short a time as possible. There you go.

:thumbsup: Great post!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:33 am 

Fraxon! wrote:
There were no new mixes doen in 2009 (unless you're talking about the Rockband video game...)

Well, they did mix out and replace John's staticy "YEAH!" in "I Want You (She's So Heavy). :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:36 am 

Tricky Kid wrote:
David Beller wrote:
Let me start by saying I am 66. I have an extremely vivid memory of driving my mom's Mercury Comet near our home one Saturday morning almost exactly fifty years ago, listening to one of the two AM rock radio stations in Cleveland, Ohio and on came I Want to Hold Your Hand and I got a big smile on my face and turned it up to eleven. All these years later when I hear that song the vision of that moment pops into my head and the smile immediately returns. That's what Beatles music means to me. It's the joy of remembering it when it was new. And when it was new in January of 1964 it was in mono. Our 45s were mono, our LPs (a rare purchase) were mono, our record players were mono and our radios were mono. The Beatles music I remember until probably around 1967 was mono. When I listen to the Beatles now I listen to the mono versions up until about Sgt. Pepper because those are the mixes I remember. Every little difference in the stereo mixes of the earlier albums catches my ear and takes me out of the joy of listening. I do appreciate the new mixes that were done in 2009 as they just sound so much better than the CDs originally released in '87. However, when I hear Roll Over Beethoven end the next thing I expect to hear is the harmonica playing the opening notes of Thank You Girl, just as it is on The Beatles Second Album and not the guitar at the beginning of Hold Me Tight as it is on the British With The Beatles because that's not what I remember. It's not what is ingrained in my memory. It's not what makes me smile that fond memory smile. And that's why I will eagerly await the delivery of the U.S. Albums box at my house on the 21st, not to mention the fact that I will have a copy of The Beatles Story, perhaps one of the most rushed together, sloppy pieces of money grubbing crap Capitol could come up with in as short a time as possible. There you go.

:thumbsup: Great post!

Agreed! :ohyes:

However, the biggest question on everybody's mind is how these will be presented. It's already been stated that there will be no Duophonic or fake-stereo mixes included. The original UK stereo mixes will replace them (or the mono mixes, depending on the track). If one grew up with the mono albums, the loss of the "Duophonic experience" not a factor. If one is nostalgic for Duophonic, then grab the two earlier boxes while you can!

It's also been already stated that in cases where the US mix was different from the UK mix, the original Capitol tapes will be used.

But what is not entirely clear is what is being done to the tracks where Capitol added reverb. For better or worse, the added reverb IS part of the Capitol LP experience - and definitely part of the memory. This is what will be interesting to see. From what I understand, the reverb is going to be re-created by the Abbey Road team on the UK tracks.

It will be interesting to see whether we get that same "smile" from this set (that David so beautifully described) that we did from the Capitol Years boxes - and our original LPs. That will be the real test of success for this box set.

Profile E-mail  

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 am 
Boney Fingers Jones

January 21st is right around the corner, who will be the first person to get this expensive box?

ELP

“You can't have everything. Where would you put it?”—Steven Wright

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:46 am 

JohnG wrote:
January 21st is right around the corner, who will be the first person to get this expensive box?

Jeff Jones? :D

Profile E-mail  

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 am 
The Pope of Pop!

Bannings: Banned??? Moi???
Hoping Discorama will have one for me before street date, but if not, I'll wait 'til they do.

Anybody heard of any promo samplers for the box?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:55 am 

Jimbo wrote:
Hoping Discorama will have one for me before street date, but if not, I'll wait 'til they do.

I believe that there's one out there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:34 pm 
I have no fear of this machine

Jimbo wrote:

http://www.examiner.com/article/beatles ... -is-coming
Quote:
A promo sampler with 25 tracks from the upcoming "U.S. Albums" box set to be released in January will be put out to promote the release, Beatles Examiner learned Dec. 20.

The sampler will feature two tracks from each of the albums in the set except "The Beatles Story,” which will be represented by one track.

The 25 tracks in the sampler:

“I Want To Hold Your Hand” (stereo) and “All My Loving” (mono) from “Meet the Beatles”;
“Money (That's What I Want”) and “She Loves You” (both mono) from “The Beatles Second Album”;
“If I Fell (stereo) and “”And I Love Her” (mono) from “A Hard Day's Night”;
“Matchbox” (stereo) and “Any Time At All” (mono) from “Something New”;
“A Hard Day's Night – Their First Movie (stereo, spoken word) from “The Beatles Story”;
“I'll Be Back” (mono) and “Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby” (stereo) from “Beatles '65”;
“P.S. I Love You” (mono) and “Please Please Me” (stereo) from “The Early Beatles”;
“Tell Me What You See” (stereo) and “Every Little Thing” (mono) from “Beatles VI”;
“Help!” (stereo) and “I Need You” (mono) from “Help!”;
“In My Life” (stereo) and “You Won't See Me” (mono) from “Rubber Soul”;
“Drive My Car” (stereo) and “What Goes On” (mono) from “Yesterday and Today”;
“I Want To Tell You” (stereo) and “Here There and Everywhere” (mono) from “Revolver”
“Rain” (stereo) and “Hey Jude” (stereo) from the “Hey Jude” album.

Image Image

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm 
The Pope of Pop!

Bannings: Banned??? Moi???
Thanks guys! I'll be on the lookout.

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:58 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:31 pm 
I HATE MP3'S, RAPPERS AND CORPORATIONS!

When I was little, they were starting to transition from mono to stereo. My dad taught me (i.e. his opinion, but as a little boy dad's opinion was similar to God's) that stereo was better; but (correctly) in the day stereo records were more expensive than mono records & I had decide with each record which was more improtant: the stereo or the price. I usually chose stereo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 pm 
Top of the Pops 65-68

just noticed in Linda's video posting above, the word "Beatles" on the cover of Meet The Beatles is not what I call a true red, it looks more like a brown (as opposed to the true reds on the other covers in the video). On my LP (a repressing from the early 70s) it's actually olive drab in colour.

Check out these variations, red orange green brown, oh the humanity... Need to get out my Bruce Spizer book to get the lowdown...

:juggle:

https://www.google.com/search?q=meet+th ... 14&bih=620

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:20 pm 
AKA "Grrreg"

Bannings: uh, no.
Rokin Robin of Locksley wrote:
just noticed in Linda's video posting above, the word "Beatles" on the cover of Meet The Beatles is not what I call a true red, it looks more like a brown (as opposed to the true reds on the other covers in the video). On my LP (a repressing from the early 70s) it's actually olive drab in colour.

Check out these variations, red orange green brown, oh the humanity... Need to get out my Bruce Spizer book to get the lowdown...

:juggle:

https://www.google.com/search?q=meet+th ... 14&bih=620

It's never been red.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:18 pm 

Tricky Kid wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

http://www.examiner.com/article/beatles ... -is-coming
Quote:
A promo sampler with 25 tracks from the upcoming "U.S. Albums" box set to be released in January will be put out to promote the release, Beatles Examiner learned Dec. 20.

The sampler will feature two tracks from each of the albums in the set except "The Beatles Story,” which will be represented by one track.

The 25 tracks in the sampler:

“I Want To Hold Your Hand” (stereo) and “All My Loving” (mono) from “Meet the Beatles”;
“Money (That's What I Want”) and “She Loves You” (both mono) from “The Beatles Second Album”;
“If I Fell (stereo) and “”And I Love Her” (mono) from “A Hard Day's Night”;
“Matchbox” (stereo) and “Any Time At All” (mono) from “Something New”;
“A Hard Day's Night – Their First Movie (stereo, spoken word) from “The Beatles Story”;
“I'll Be Back” (mono) and “Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby” (stereo) from “Beatles '65”;
“P.S. I Love You” (mono) and “Please Please Me” (stereo) from “The Early Beatles”;
“Tell Me What You See” (stereo) and “Every Little Thing” (mono) from “Beatles VI”;
“Help!” (stereo) and “I Need You” (mono) from “Help!”;
“In My Life” (stereo) and “You Won't See Me” (mono) from “Rubber Soul”;
“Drive My Car” (stereo) and “What Goes On” (mono) from “Yesterday and Today”;
“I Want To Tell You” (stereo) and “Here There and Everywhere” (mono) from “Revolver”
“Rain” (stereo) and “Hey Jude” (stereo) from the “Hey Jude” album.

Image Image

I just noticed this post. Does that mean for once they're going to rip us off less than usual & put both mono & stereo versions of the entire album on each disc?? Marketing the Beatles with less greed than usual somehow scares me................

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Yes, mono and stereo mixes are on each disc except for Hey Jude. Not sure about The Beatles' Story, which is only available as part of the box set -- there's only one version of each track listed with no notation about mono or stereo, although the cover says "Stereo" like all the early albums do.

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 pm 
Boney Fingers Jones

Yep each individual album has mono and stereo. I would be tempted to at least pick up Rubber Soul/ Yesterday and Today/ Revolver/ and Hey Jude.
It just sucks to get that nice box, you have to spend over $150 for basically packaging.

ELP

“You can't have everything. Where would you put it?”—Steven Wright

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 pm 

Linda wrote:
Yes, mono and stereo mixes are on each disc except for Hey Jude. Not sure about The Beatles' Story, which is only available as part of the box set -- there's only one version of each track listed with no notation about mono or stereo, although the cover says "Stereo" like all the early albums do.

You have to buy the box to get "Story"? That sucks. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:19 pm 
Top of the Pops 65-68

Geff R. wrote:
Linda wrote:

You have to buy the box to get "Story"? That sucks. :evil:

(it's up on youtube in stereo, but don't tell nobody...)

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 pm 
I'm a Frayed Knot

Bannings: 2
Linda wrote:

The Beatles Story wouldn't fit on one disc with both the mono & stereo versions. This will (I believe) just be the stereo. The mono was just a fold-down and they're trying to avoid that sort of thing now.

Profile E-mail  

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Fraxon! wrote:
Linda wrote:

The Beatles Story wouldn't fit on one disc with both the mono & stereo versions. This will (I believe) just be the stereo. The mono was just a fold-down and they're trying to avoid that sort of thing now.

That's interesting. Why was stereo the primary mix for such an early album? Because it was spoken word?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:35 pm 

My understanding is that with a few exceptions (The Beach Boys being the most obvious), that at least in the labels pov stereo was the main format by around '64 (remember they were charging higher prices for Stereo LP's than for mono LP's) & that the #1 reason Mono LP's lasted for so long was because many mono needles would damage stereo LP's.

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Stereo wasn't the primary mix for rock music (or soul/R&B, I believe) until 1969. Virtually every artist we collect from that era considered the mono mixes the "real" ones, with the stereo mixes being afterthoughts that were often put together by the producers, engineers or labels without any artist involvement at all.

In The Beatles' case, Get Back was (or would have been) the first album where stereo was the primary mix.

This is why I found The Beatles' Story's mono mix being a fold-down of the stereo to be surprising.

Go to page 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 32  ( Previous  |  Next )

Who is WANline