“We'll give you such a pinch.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page 1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 32  ( Previous  |  Next )
 Post subject: [2014-01-21] The Beatles "The US Albums" (Apple/Universal)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:46 pm 
Pure Evil Gold!!

Bannings: Ask Linda
Paging Dave Dexter, paging Dave Dexter...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:12 pm 

Fraxon! wrote:
comfortablynumb wrote:
These new CDs will not be created from the US masters with the exception of 'some' unique for USA mixes.

Where is this info coming from, if you don't mind me asking?

From Steve Marinucci's Beatle News website:

http://www.examiner.com/article/beatles ... albums-box

The company says that in preparing the albums for reissue, they decided not to remaster from the original Capitol master tapes.

“While doing so would have been the easiest way to go, it would not have created the best possible listening experience. In an effort to preserve the original intentions of the band and the producers, the masters used are, in most cases, the same as the stereo and mono remasters released in 2009 as part of the Parlophone/Apple core catalog, all approved by George Martin and The Beatles. All of the duophonic mixes have been replaced with the approved stereo mixes when available and some mono mixes in the few instances where no true stereo mix exists.”

Why I very likely will not be purchasing this set.

Last edited by LarryY on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:33 pm 

LIF: 3
Hmmm…looks like I just saved $150.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 pm 

Add another one to Crapple's long list of misses.

Profile E-mail  

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:28 pm 
Boney Fingers Jones

Well one can wait til they blow these out in the future like how the mono box which at one time seemed like you needed it ASAP but now can be found discounted everywhere well after the hype is over.

ELP

“You can't have everything. Where would you put it?”—Steven Wright

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:29 pm 
I HATE BRICKWALLED MUSIC AND CORPORATIONS!

Smiff wrote:
Fraxon! wrote:
comfortablynumb wrote:
These new CDs will not be created from the US masters with the exception of 'some' unique for USA mixes.

Where is this info coming from, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, I'm completely confused now. Remember when Chris said I set him straight? I think I really bent him worse than he already was. So what exactly sets these sets apart from the 2009 masters other than song indexing and packaging?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (+ sequencing & the USA only instrumentals on Help)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:40 pm 

Smiff wrote:
Hmmm…looks like I just saved $150.

:agree: I couldn't have said it better myself!!

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:00 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice
Why the disappointment, guys? That's what the original description said too. Marinucci's article is based on that same description, the solicitation from Universal which had been posted in this thread last month. Read his whole piece:

Quote:
Beatles' label says they worked to preserve mixes used in new 'U.S. Albums' box

Capitol Records said Dec. 12 they took great care to preserve the original and unique mixes of the American-issued albums on the new “The Beatles: The U.S. Albums” box set release, coming in January.

“These albums were originally issued between 1964 and 1970 by Capitol Records, Apple Records, and United Artists in the United States,” a statement said. “These new releases seek to replicate the unique listening experience heard by Americans at the time by preserving the sequences, timings, and artwork found on the albums. Capitol’s engineers in the 1960s took great care to produce what they believed to be the best possible sound for the playback equipment in use at that time.”

“Due to the limitations of the record players of the day, engineers often compressed the sound by raising the volume of the softer passages and lowering the volume for the louder parts of the songs. They also reduced the bass frequencies since too much bass could cause the record to skip. In some cases, reverb was added to the tracks to make them sound more 'American.'

“In the 1960s, albums were commonly released in both mono and stereo formats. If no stereo mix was available for a particular song, Capitol followed the industry practice of the day by creating a simulated stereo mix. This was accomplished by running the mono signal through two channels, boosting the bass in one channel, tweaking the treble in the other channel and then running the channels slightly out of sync and in some cases adding reverb. These were often called 'duophonic' mixes. In some cases duophonic mixes were created even when actual stereo mixes were or would soon be available in the U.K. This was most likely due to production timelines and the availability of the original analog tapes. Five Beatles albums were released by Capitol in 1964 alone!

“For some mono songs Capitol’s engineers created fold-down mixes from the stereo mixes by blending the two discrete stereo channels into one mono master, believing that doing so would add more punch to the sound. It is also conceivable that they created fold-down mixes because a stereo master was all they had on hand. These so-called Type B Mono mixes were used for some of Capitol’s early Beatles albums, including many of the tracks found on 'Meet The Beatles!,' 'The Beatles ’ Second Album,' 'The Early Beatles' and the 'Help!' soundtrack. Many of the songs used on the original U.S. albums were made from second, third, and even fourth-generation tapes.”

The company says that in preparing the albums for reissue, they decided not to remaster from the original Capitol master tapes.

“While doing so would have been the easiest way to go, it would not have created the best possible listening experience. In an effort to preserve the original intentions of the band and the producers, the masters used are, in most cases, the same as the stereo and mono remasters released in 2009 as part of the Parlophone/Apple core catalog, all approved by George Martin and The Beatles. All of the duophonic mixes have been replaced with the approved stereo mixes when available and some mono mixes in the few instances where no true stereo mix exists.”

Great care was taken to preserve the specific mixes and edits that make these U.S. albums unique, the company said. “These tracks, originally sent to the U.S. by George Martin, have been remastered from the original 1960s U.S. master analog tapes. They have been combined with the U.K. approved masters to reproduce the same sequence, order, and levels as presented on the U.S. Beatles albums. The original U.S. albums were used as models and set the overall direction for the process.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:26 pm 

LIF: 3
I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part. This is pretty much a waste for anyone who has the 2009 box and doesn't care about the instrumentals (like me).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:00 pm 

Smiff wrote:
I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part. This is pretty much a waste for anyone who has the 2009 box and doesn't care about the instrumentals (like me).

What he said.

Profile E-mail  

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:01 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice
Again I ask, how is this in any way different from what was previously announced?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:15 pm 

Maybe we're just starting to realize that it's 90% hype!

It sounds like there's going to be 10 tracks or so in the entire set different than the 2009's. I'm still hoping for true flat transfered hi res...................

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:19 pm 
Boney Fingers Jones

Well it still has The Beatles Story inside it. :D

ELP

“You can't have everything. Where would you put it?”—Steven Wright

Profile E-mail  

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:20 pm 
I'm a Frayed Knot

Bannings: 2
Linda wrote:
Again I ask, how is this in any way different from what was previously announced?

I thought they were using the US masters and matching them in tone quality to the 2009 remasters. :shrug:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:37 pm 

Uni is succeeding................This thread is already 11 pages long.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:00 pm 

Here's the thing: Beatles fans have looked down their noses at the Capital albums and mixes as bring the bastard stepchildren of the Beatle catalog for decades now.

What this tells me is that I've done the right thing by hanging on to my 1987 Beatles CD's. Beatles fans who aren't even born yet will someday be willing to pay top dollar for the "original CD mixes". Cha-ching!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:15 pm 
Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

I saw the Examiner article a few weeks ago and posted similar sources here (that I found though the other place) a few weeks back. This is no surprise to me today.

I still have it ordered through Amazon.ca......if any early reviews leak out that this is bad, I'll cancel it.

:TheBeatles:
Hail Atlantis!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:19 pm 

They sure know how to exploit the Beatles catalog.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 pm 
Fake Yankee Stadium fail!

Smiff wrote:
This is pretty much a waste for anyone who has the 2009 box and doesn't care about the instrumentals (like me).

What about for those who have the earlier Beatles on Capitol boxes?

When things are going bad I try to rationalize them by thinking “Oh well, what’ll it matter in a hundred years.” In a hundred years maybe it won’t matter, but the trouble is that in the next few hours or days or weeks it matters a lot. - Harvey Pekar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:23 pm 
Fake Yankee Stadium fail!

Brainiac McGee wrote:
What this tells me is that I've done the right thing by hanging on to my 1987 Beatles CD's. Beatles fans who aren't even born yet will someday be willing to pay top dollar for the "original CD mixes". Cha-ching!

And if you have the initial pressings - the ones WITHOUT the Apple logo - you might be able to get even MORE for them! :yay:

When things are going bad I try to rationalize them by thinking “Oh well, what’ll it matter in a hundred years.” In a hundred years maybe it won’t matter, but the trouble is that in the next few hours or days or weeks it matters a lot. - Harvey Pekar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:29 pm 

Gary Dunaier wrote:
Smiff wrote:
This is pretty much a waste for anyone who has the 2009 box and doesn't care about the instrumentals (like me).

What about for those who have the earlier Beatles on Capitol boxes?

Anyone with the early USA Capitol boxes should be kind to their ears & sell them!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:49 pm 
AKA "Grrreg"

Bannings: uh, no.
Renny wrote:
ever just sit back and think about what a mess the beatles music has become?

different mixes, stereo/mono, different takes, etc etc etc.

maybe someday someone will put it all in one place, charge a couple of thousand for it and be done with it.

That's mostly because it was such a mess to begin with -- completely different US releases, remixes, "Dexterizing," etc. And the fact that there's so much nostalgia involved. What a lot of buyers want is to relive the thrill they had hearing this material for the first time, which was probably on the radio or on a mono 45 played on a cheap portable record player. Or an LP, which means looking at the album cover art while you listened. But they want the best sound quality, too. And of course fans who weren't alive in the 60's don't want fake stereo and bogus reverb. There's no way Apple can please everybody.

Me, I just think it will be cool to have some of these, even if the tracks are mostly duplicates. Burning a Hey Jude CD-R from my 2009 remasters just doesn't cut it.

Go to page 1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 32  ( Previous  |  Next )

Who is WANline