“Deep Space Borgnine.”

Post subject: [2013-09-24] The Waitresses "Just Desserts: The Complete Waitresses" 2-CD set (Omnivore)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 pm 

Disc 1: Wasn’t Tomorrow Wonderful?, I Could Rule the World If I Could Only Get the Parts and bonus track

1. No Guilt
2. Wise Up
3. Quit
4. It’s My Car
5. Wasn’t Tomorrow Wonderful?
6. I Know What Boys Like
7. Heat Night
8. Redland
9. Pussy Strut
10. Go On
11. Jimmy Tomorrow
12. Christmas Wrapping
13. Bread and Butter
14. Square Pegs
15. The Smartest Person I Know
16. I Could Rule the World If I Could Only Get the Parts
17. Hangover 1/1/83

Disc 2: Bruiseology and bonus tracks

1. A Girl’s Gotta Do
2. Make the Weather
3. Everything’s Wrong
4. Luxury
5. Open City
6. Thinking About Sex Again
7. Bruiseology
8. Pleasure
9. Spin
10. They’re All Out of Liquor, Let’s Find Another Party
11. Bruiseology (Alternate)
12. Bread and Butter (Re-Mix)
13. Bread and Butter (Dub Mix)

Disc 1, Tracks 1-11 released as Polydor LP PD-1-6346, 1982
Disc 1, Tracks 12-16 released as Polydor EP PX-1-507, 1983
Disc 1, Track 17 released on ZE Records 12″ 12WIP 6821 (U.K.), 1983
Disc 2, Tracks 1-10 released as Polydor LP 422 810 980-1 Y-1, 1983
Disc 2, Track 11 previously unreleased
Disc 2, Tracks 12-13 released as Polydor 12″ promo single PRO 196, 1983

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOQK232/?tag=imwan-20

Last edited by pghmusiclover on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ICE Mod
 Post subject: [2013-09-24] The Waitresses "Just Desserts: The Complete Waitresses" 2-CD set (Omnivore)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:48 pm 
Boney Fingers Jones

I actually had the privilege of seeing them live in a small club in Bayside Queens when they had their big hit. They were wonderful and I was a big fan. It also is not Christmas without hearing Christmas Wrapping. :)

ELP

“You can't have everything. Where would you put it?”—Steven Wright

Profile E-mail  

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 pm 
The Pope of Pop!

Bannings: Banned??? Moi???
I believe Bill L. worked on this quite a while ago and it's been sitting in the vaults. Finally getting a proper release.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:52 pm 

Additional information from the Second Disc:

http://theseconddisc.com/2013/08/09/was ... aitresses/

Quote:
After Omnivore’s exciting announcement of the Humble Pie Fillmore box set, the label now turns to one of the most underrated American New Wave groups of the ’80s: The Waitresses, whose complete Polydor output is coming from Omnivore in September.

Anchored by guitarist/producer Chris Butler and irascible lead vocalist Patty Donahue, the Akron-based Waitresses cut two albums and one EP for Polydor between 1982 and 1984. They enjoyed at least three notable songs in their short lifespan: “I Know What Boys Like,” a smirking dance-rock tune that peaked at No. 62 on the Billboard charts; the theme to the cult TV series Square Pegs (which featured a then-unknown Sarah Jessica Parker as a new high schooler attempting to fit in with the popular crowd); and the too-catchy-to-be-seasonal “Christmas Wrapping,” still a perennial favorite on radio around the end of the year. Though the band never had much commercial traction, their tightly-produced pop/rock offerings made them a cult name. (Butler continues to make music as a solo artist; Donahue died of cancer in 1996 after working in A&R for MCA.)

Just Desserts: The Complete Waitresses contains all of the band’s works for Polydor: albums Wasn’t Tomorrow Wonderful? (1982) and Bruiseology (1984), the 1983 EP I Could Rule the World If I Could Only Get the Parts, three single tracks (“Hangover 1/1/83,” the B-side to “Christmas Wrapping,” and two remixes of I Could Rule the World single “Bread and Butter”) and one unreleased track, an alternate version of Bruiseology‘s title track. This two-disc set, produced by Butler with longtime reissue producer Bill Levenson, marks the first time all of these albums have been released in full on CD in the United States.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:11 pm 

Finally!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:17 pm 

Oh, I love this band. I need this edition, especially if Bill L. worked on this.
And JohnG is right, Christmas is not the same with at least a couple spins of " Christmas Wrapping" during the holiday season.

Rick A.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:44 pm 

So looking forward to this, been waiting forever. I have the 2 albums on cdr but not the ep so I'm really looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:11 pm 

Sign me up for this one! And I agree about hearing "Christmas Wrapping" during the season. It just makes you feel better during that stressful time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:27 am 
Monster a' Go-Go

While I found a Japanese cd of "Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful," it will be great to have the e.p. and "Bruiseology" properly mastered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:57 am 

If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out the live version of "Christmas Wrapping" on the "King Biscuit Flower Hour" CD. Best $3 you'll ever spend on Amazon..... :ohyes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000005EJ5/?tag=imwan-20

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 pm 

I am thrilled about this! Having only the best-of, I gave-in and bought the MP3 version of the debut from Amazon a year ago since there were a number of tracks I'd never heard. Even the deep cuts are great ("Redland", "Go On", etc.) though the MP3s are clearly sourced from vinyl so it will be great to get everything this time around! I can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:47 pm 
Monster a' Go-Go

And "Pussy Strut." I mean...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 pm 

LIF: 3
Thanks for the heads-up...just ordered the live disc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 pm 

Just realized that the single mix/edit of "Christmas Wrapping" didn't make it to this compilation. So far as I know, it has yet to make it to CD (though the MP3 is available via Amazon and iTunes - pretty sure it's sourced from vinyl, though).

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:12 pm 
The Pope of Pop!

Bannings: Banned??? Moi???
Got mine today at 'Rama. Very nice package. Haven't heard these albums in years, enjoying the trip down memory lane.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:16 pm 

I'm really enjoying having these in an official form and supporting the band. Been waiting for these on cd for so long now.

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:57 pm 
Yes...my real name is Steve..REALLY!

Bannings: Living on the edge.
pobbard wrote:
Just realized that the single mix/edit of "Christmas Wrapping" didn't make it to this compilation. So far as I know, it has yet to make it to CD (though the MP3 is available via Amazon and iTunes - pretty sure it's sourced from vinyl, though).

All of the many compilations that I have that contain "Christmas Wrapping" have the track clocking in at between 5:20 and about 5:28. What is the length of this single mix/edit version?

Boston Red Sox - 2004, 2007 & 2013 World Series Champions!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:13 pm 

Dang it. Got my copy and it's cracked. I blame the extra tight spindle in the jewel case :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:58 pm 

Walter P wrote:
All of the many compilations that I have that contain "Christmas Wrapping" have the track clocking in at between 5:20 and about 5:28. What is the length of this single mix/edit version?

It's 4:31, at least the version I bought as an MP3 from Amazon. Pretty sure it's a vinyl rip, but sounds like a different mix to me, too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:03 pm 

I got this set on Wednesday. Long overdue, and great to hear. Great liner notes & sound all around.

Also a good chance for me to get familiar with BRUISEOLOGY; I don't really know the material on the 2nd LP that didn't make it to the 1990 best-of comp. Hearing it as a whole makes me wonder if the Waitresses might have lasted longer if it had contained a stronger single. "Make the Weather" was the single (I believe); a great track, but the hook is not nearly as strong as "I Know What Boys Like" (or even "A Girl's Gotta Do" off the same record). I know the band was already disintegrating before the 2nd LP came out (even while it was being made), but seems like a hit might have help rejuvenate them.

My review is here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1J7DQ9CCJDPD5/

Who is WANline