“A veritable cornucopia of irrelevance.”

IMWAN Admin
 Post subject: [2013-10-28] Badfinger "Badfinger/Wish You Were Here/In Concert At The BBC" 2-CD three-fer remaster (Edsel UK)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:21 am 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice

Product Description
In late 1973, Badfinger found themselves recording the first of these two albums for Warner Brothers, despite the fact that their fourth album for the Beatles’ Apple record label was yet to be released. Luckily they still had producer Chris Thomas on board, and the band recorded an album of fine songs and fine playing. Within months they were contractually required to make another album, again with Thomas, recorded this time at Caribou Studios. Another excellent album, it was withdrawn with weeks of release due to various lawsuits, and sadly turned out to be the last album by the original line-up. Included on the second CD are two BBC “In Concert” radio recordings, where the band demonstrates their live capabilities. The booklet of this slipcased edition includes the lyrics and annotation by Alan Robinson.

CD 1
Badfinger (AKA For Love Or Money):
1. I Miss You
2. Shine On
3. Love Is Easy
4. Song For A Lost Friend
5. Why Don't We Talk?
6. Island
7. Matted Spam
8. Where Do We Go From Here?
9. My Heart Goes Out
10. Lonely You
11. Give It Up
12. Andy Norris

Wish You Were Here:
13. Just A Chance
14. You're So Fine
15. Got To Get Out Of Here
16. Know One Knows
17. Dennis
18. In The Meantime / Some Other Time
19. Love Time
20. King Of The Load
21. Meanwhile Back At The Ranch / Should I Smoke

CD 2
In Concert At The BBC, 1972-3:
1. Better Days
2. Only You Know And I Know
3. We're For The Dark
4. Sweet Tuesday Morning
5. Feelin' Alright
6. Take It All
7. Suitcase
8. Love Is Easy
9. Blind Owl
10. Constitution
11. Icicles
12. Matted Spam
13. Suitcase
14. I Can't Take It
15. Come And Get It

Amazon USA
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CY5XY3Y/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CY5XY3Y/?tag=imwan-21

IMWAN Admin
 Post subject: [2013-10-28] Badfinger "Badfinger/Wish You Were Here/In Concert At The BBC" 2-CD three-fer remaster (Edsel UK)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 am 
Helpful Librarian

I'm pre-ordering this one sight unseen, bonus tracks or not, because these fantastic albums have never been done justice on CD. Even Edsel's perfunctory remastering has got to be an improvement over the dull, flat transfers of the two Warner Bros. albums that have been available for years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 am 

Linda wrote:
I'm pre-ordering this one sight unseen, bonus tracks or not, because these fantastic albums have never been done justice on CD. Even Edsel's perfunctory remastering has got to be an improvement over the dull, flat transfers of the two Warner Bros. albums that have been available for years.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 am 
Some kind of Bumsnoidial Buttsnoid

Yes, yes, yes, super yes.

Though I do wish someone would have hunted down the original Head First tapes (if they even still exist).

Still. Yes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:18 pm 

Thanks, Linda. Like the rest of you, I have the previous CD releases, but I'm always a sucker for a new Badfinger reissue!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:23 pm 

Hope this coming next week ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:14 am 

The other thing is both these albums will fit on a single cd cos they're short on length regardless of music musical merit so doing both and adding the BBC material makes for a great package.

Profile E-mail  

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 am 
Helpful Librarian

Sigh ... the same thing that happened to the Andrew Gold four-fer has now happened to Badfinger, the listing page has gone dead and it just says "Currently Unavailable". Edsel said that the Gold release will be rescheduled, so I'm going to assume that Badfinger will also be rescheduled, and leave my pre-order in place. (That is, if Amazon UK doesn't cancel it themselves.)

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:20 am 
Helpful Librarian

It's back at the same link as before, now scheduled for September 30th:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CY5XY3Y/?tag=imwan-21

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:22 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Bump: Added cover image and track listing to the first post. No bonus tracks, but hopefully some decent remastering.

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:31 am 
Helpful Librarian

Bump: This has been pushed back again, this time to October 28th.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:07 pm 
No one I think is in my tree.

The Robert Palmer mess has me really gun-shy when dealing with Edsel.

"Orphans always make the best recruits." ~ M

My author page at Amazon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:35 pm 

DanO wrote:
The Robert Palmer mess has me really gun-shy when dealing with Edsel.

You're not alone. I removed my pre orders for this and the Andrew Gold and will await reports on how they've turned out before buying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:26 am 

Just got an email from Amazon UK that my order has been dispatched!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:12 pm 

My copy arrived yesterday! Pretty fast transit!! Nice package and lengthy article that I haven't read yet. Sounds good to my ears. One disappointment: This reissue doesn't include Come and Get It on the BBC disc. It was recorded in 1970 and added to the original release as a bonus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 pm 
Some kind of Bumsnoidial Buttsnoid

Did anyone who got this figure out if Edsel mastered it properly?

Profile E-mail  

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 am 
Helpful Librarian

It's remastered properly (not from MP3s) by Phil Kinrade, but the two studio albums sound fairly close to the original German Warner CDs, which makes me think they still haven't found the actual first generation masters. I described Edsel's remastering as "perfunctory" early in the thread, based on my experiences with a lot of their other reissues, and this release is no exception. It's nice but not revelatory. If you're happy with the previous issues there's not really a great incentive to get this one. If you don't have the Warner Bros. or Collectors' Choice versions, this would be a good pickup.

The BBC portion is missing "Come And Get It" as Neal pointed out, and the booklet doesn't have the photos which were included in the original BBC release. The booklet has scans of LP and 45 labels, lyrics (which are not entirely accurate), and a pretty good essay about Badfinger's Warner era recordings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:48 pm 
Pure Evil Gold!!

Bannings: Ask Linda
It was a good thing Badfinger was around....to provide Pink Floyd with album titles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 pm 

Dr. Chris Evil wrote:
It was a good thing Badfinger was around....to provide Pink Floyd with album titles.

And then Floyd returned the favor for this excellent jazz album from the '80s:

Who is WANline