“We're also told to remember 'four simple things'.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  ( Previous  |  Next )
 Post subject: [2013-01-29] Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 35th anniversary Expanded and Deluxe Editions (Rhino)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 pm 

Slightly off topic, but in USA Today in an article on the upcoming Fleetwod Mac tour, Lindsey Buckingham (I think...it might have been Stevie NIcks) stated that the two of them were looking at finally releasing Buckingham-Nicks on CD next year in a 40th Anniversary edition. So the long wait may be over. At this point, I'd probably be more interested in the story of why they held it up all these years, rather the actual record itself...but I'll buy it anyway.

Profile E-mail  

ICE Mod
 Post subject: [2013-01-29] Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 35th anniversary Expanded and Deluxe Editions (Rhino)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:55 pm 

i can say, with conviction, that i will NOT be buying "rumours:" for the 4th time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 pm 

DanO wrote:
I've heard nothing mentioned, but it sounds like it might be a "Entire Rumours Album +" tour.

Who would sing the Christine McVie parts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 pm 
In time out

I had Rumours on vinyl but never on CD. If enough people upgrade to this new deluxe edition maybe I can pick up a cheap used copy of the last deluxe edition.

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 am 
Boney Fingers Jones

I also bought the DVDA version in 2001 which may be the definitive audio version if you care about such things. So I really don't need another version. Have the lp, cassette, CD, DVDA, remaster CD................

from AMAZON:
One last note - the DVD-Audio version present the Rumours tracks in remastered sound with the ORIGINAL version of "Silver Springs", so for some of you that may be the best way to go.

ELP

“You can't have everything. Where would you put it?”—Steven Wright

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 am 

The only version I own is the DVD-Audio version, which is absolutely stunning. Unless there is some incredible content added to the anniversary edition, I won't bother getting it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 am 
CD collector

JohnG wrote:
I also bought the DVDA version in 2001 which may be the definitive audio version if you care about such things. So I really don't need another version. Have the lp, cassette, CD, DVDA, remaster CD................

from AMAZON:
One last note - the DVD-Audio version present the Rumours tracks in remastered sound with the ORIGINAL version of "Silver Springs", so for some of you that may be the best way to go.

You'll buy the BluRay version. :ohyes:

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:47 am 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice
ranasakawa wrote:
JohnG wrote:

from AMAZON:

That old DVD-A costs a fortune now anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005B5L4/?tag=imwan-20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:12 am 
No one I think is in my tree.

bluesman69 wrote:
DanO wrote:
I've heard nothing mentioned, but it sounds like it might be a "Entire Rumours Album +" tour.

Who would sing the Christine McVie parts?

That's up to them. They already do "Say You Love Me".

"Orphans always make the best recruits." ~ M

My author page at Amazon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 am 
I HATE BRICKWALLED MUSIC AND CORPORATIONS!

There is a 96/24 HD Tracks & an SHM SACD. I have heard both. IF I remember right the HD Tracks is taken from the DVD-A & is horribly compressed like pretty much all early Warner dvd-a's. I believe the SACD is much better (though I am tired, I may have it backwards!) I do remember one sounds much better than the other. I'm pretty sure this is accurate as I heard the HD tracks before the SACD & I remember that the HD Tracks FM & Tango sound superb while Rumors was LOUD.

However, at least you can get it for $20 instead of $60!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 am 

holy crap, let me catch-up here:

1- i vote for the (brilliant and superb) remastering campaign to continue with "Mirage" and "Tango In The Night" (not to mention "Buckingham/Nicks") BEFORE we start with round 2 of remasters.

2- I AM A PHYSICAL PRODUCT AND REMASTER WHORE! or so i'm told.

3- oh shit, i forgot what 3 was. sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:52 am 

There are a LOT of really high quality SACD's coming out in Japan. When well mastered, they totally blow away any cd out there. Unfortunately, cost seems to run around $60 a disc. The downloadable files are much more reasonably priced ($15-$30), but HD's QC & honesty/transperancy regarding the sources sometimes leaves a bit to be desired. Some of there stuff sounds great, some is a huge waste of $'s.

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 am 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice
Here's the Japanese SACD of Rumours which Geff is referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005804NCI/?tag=imwan-20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 am 

I have the DVD-A but will look forward to see what they discover in the vaults.

Rick A.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 am 

I'm surprised it's dropped that low. I'll double check if anyone wishes before purchase, but I'm 99% sure the dvd'a & HD Tracks are the loud versions & this is the superior version.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:58 am 

Geff R. wrote:
I'm surprised it's dropped that low. I'll double check if anyone wishes before purchase, but I'm 99% sure the dvd'a & HD Tracks are the loud versions & this is the superior version.

I would like to know if the SACD is better. I have the DVD-A and love it, but am always interested in options on this one.
Thanks
Wynn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 am 

PES wrote:
Slightly off topic, but in USA Today in an article on the upcoming Fleetwod Mac tour, Lindsey Buckingham (I think...it might have been Stevie NIcks) stated that the two of them were looking at finally releasing Buckingham-Nicks on CD next year in a 40th Anniversary edition. So the long wait may be over. At this point, I'd probably be more interested in the story of why they held it up all these years, rather the actual record itself...but I'll buy it anyway.

:yay: :thumbsup: :ohyes:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 am 

Invisible Pedestrian wrote:
Well, there's probably about 5 of me out there and 2 of us want physical product. I don't know who the other guy is.

That's me. I've never owned this album but a friend of mine had it when we were younger and I just never got around to picking up my own copy. Only Fleetwood Mac album I ever owned was Mirage and I only liked about half of that. Currently have no Fleetwood Mac in my collection. At this point the only two Fleetwood Mac albums that I am interested in getting are Rumours and the 1975 self-titled album.

I'm either in for this new deluxe set of Rumours but if it turns out to be bloated and over-priced I'll make the commitment and go back and pick up the last 2 CD issue. This is a great, great, great album, and I have no excuse for not having a copy of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am 

Linda wrote:
ranasakawa wrote:
JohnG wrote:

from AMAZON:

I also bought the DVD-Audio about 10 years ago. Didn't realize it had gone up in value so much, but I don't think I'll part with it. The surround sound mix is good but not amazing, but what I loved about it is that there are parts you can only hear in that mix. I seem to recall "Never Going Back Again" being especially great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 am 

Invisible Pedestrian wrote:
alantig wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
I think I've bought Rumours only 5 times--3 LPs (original, white vinyl, Nautilus) and twice on CD (original Target CD, previous deluxe edition). That's not even enough to make the Top 10!

If this is release golf, I'm ahead - I've only bought it twice. CD and...8-track.

I win-I've never owned it in any way. I'm more of a Peter Green era and Tusk-Tango fan, but Rumours is brilliant. I've never owned it because I was sick of it as a kid and never bothered. Now I will.

I heard this album on cassette...once...I don't know, something about the image of Tipper Gore shaking her ass to "Don't Stop" kind of killed any interest I might have ever had in anything by them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 am 

Brainiac McGee wrote:
I heard this album on cassette...once...I don't know, something about the image of Tipper Gore shaking her ass to "Don't Stop" kind of killed any interest I might have ever had in anything by them.

At this point it's an album that needs to be separated from its history, and just listened to for the music. If nothing else, the production is perfect and the rhythm section is typically brilliant. Then there's Buckingham's ridiculously underrated guitar playing. Much as I love Peter Green (and I think his work with Mayall is better than Clapton's tenure), Buckingham is just as impressive in his own way. I have to agree that "Don't Stop" is harder to enjoy with the Tipper Gore dancing connection, but I just focus on the way Buckingham and McVie (Christine, that is) blend their voices.

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 pm 
Boney Fingers Jones

richman666 wrote:
Linda wrote:
ranasakawa wrote:
JohnG wrote:

from AMAZON:

I also bought the DVD-Audio about 10 years ago. Didn't realize it had gone up in value so much, but I don't think I'll part with it. The surround sound mix is good but not amazing, but what I loved about it is that there are parts you can only hear in that mix. I seem to recall "Never Going Back Again" being especially great.

I kinda knew way back then that it would be smart to grab as many DVDAs as you could be be because of the value. Glad that came true.

ELP

“You can't have everything. Where would you put it?”—Steven Wright

Profile E-mail  

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  ( Previous  |  Next )

Who is WANline