“That's it! Out you two pixies go ... through the door, or out the window!”

IMWAN Admin
 Post subject: [2012-02-14] Cotton Mather "Kontiki (Deluxe Edition)" 2-CD expanded remaster of 1997 album (Star Apple Kingdom)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:05 am 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice

Product Description
Digitally remastered and expanded deluxe two CD edition of the critically lauded 1997 sophomore album from the Austin-based Power Pop band founded in the early 1990's by Robert Harrison. Includes a bonus 11 track CD. Features new artwork with extensive liner notes about the making of Kontiki and the history of Cotton Mather.

CD 1
1. Camp Hill Rail Operator
2. Homefront Cameo
3. Spin My Wheels
4. My Before And After
5. Private Ruth
6. Vegetable Row
7. Aurora Bori Alice
8. Church Of Wilson
9. Lily Dreams On
10. Password
11. Animal Show Drinking Song
12. Prophecy For the Golden Age
13. She's Only Cool
14. Autumn's Birds

CD 2
1. Homefront Cameo (4-Track)
2. Pine Box Builder No. 1
3. Camp Hill Rail Operator (Acoustic)
4. Little Star
5. Baby Freeze Queen No. 1
6. Altar Boy (Live To ADAT)
7. Flying Annie's Kite
8. Innocent Street (Acoustic)
9. Spin My Wheels (Electric)
10. Church Of Wilson (4-Track)
11. Private Ruth (Acoustic)
12. The Gold Gone Days

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OT307G/?tag=imwan-20

IMWAN Admin
 Post subject: [2012-02-14] Cotton Mather "Kontiki (Deluxe Edition)" 2-CD expanded remaster of 1997 album (Star Apple Kingdom)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:11 am 
Helpful Librarian

Quote:
Kontiki Deluxe

In 1997 my band Cotton Mather recorded our second record, Kontiki, on 4 track cassette and ADAT in an old house about 30 minutes outside of Austin. It was released in the US without much fanfare on a little label called Copper. But when the record made its way to the UK a year later on the Rainbow Quartz label Kontiki was quite the hit with the press and music fans.

Now Kontiki, the "lost classic" has been out of print for years. I (Robert Harrison) have been busy readying a re-release of Kontiki which will include an entire second disc of bonus tracks. Not just a few out-takes but an entire discs worth of extras because when I dug back into the archives I found some real treasure.

I need YOUR help to finance the release of Kontiki Deluxe! If this record is important to you - you could really make a difference with even the slightest contribution. Its not too late for you to help Cotton Mather. We never had a big record deal and never reached the masses -which some people say is a crime. And although I never really think of it in those terms and I stay pretty busy these days with my band Future Clouds and Radar- I do think there is something undeniably magical about Kontiki. It was a special moment in time we landed on back there. All of us from Cotton Mather would love more people to hear it. So lets get Kontiki in the hands of the people and help Cotton Mather at long last shed the mantle of rock cult obscurity.

The money we raise will pay for mixing an 11 track bonus CD (the first one will remain as it was), mastering, new artwork with extensive liner notes about the making of Kontiki and the history of Cotton Mather, manufacturing, publicity and if we go past the target a good ways- a vinyl pressing. Then of course if somebody goes for the grand prize..... look out!

Thank you

Robert Harrison

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/918 ... iki-deluxe

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:20 am 
Helpful Librarian

Quote:
Kontiki Kontinued

“We need to pass it on to another generation.” That’s the plea Oasis’ Noel Gallagher makes in the (already successful) Kickstarter campaign to reissue Cotton Mather’s 1997 cult classic, Kontiki. OTR asked frontman and current Future Clouds & Radar leader Robert Harrison to elaborate on the album’s bonus features. Here’s what came back.

“Kontiki was a record that sort of created itself while we were trying to make another record.

“We were looking for a record deal and a friend of mine, Joe McDermott, gave me the keys to this old house in Leander, where he had a room with a little gear, and he showed me the basics so I could demo some songs. I had my 4-track as well, and so Whit and I began doing some very basic recordings on the weekends or late at night when the house wasn't being used. Around that time we began working with a noted local producer on some ‘real studio recordings.’ George Reiff and Dana Myzer had joined us on bass and drums, and that Cotton Mather line-up was an explosive live band.

“The first things we did in Leander were just raw as I tried to figure out what I was doing and the intention wasn't to make art. But soon we began to get this vibe going on these little acoustic tracks, and I began to find them infinitely more interesting than what we were making with the big boys. So we ditched those tracks, took my first real treasure from Leander as a jumping off point and began to get live takes of Cotton Mather on 4-track that I could build into something.

“We never had more than two mics at one time in Leander, so usually there is just one mic on the drums. We cut some stuff live to 4-track in my little living room on Possum Trot with four mics - one on drums, one on bass amp, and one on me and Whit playing through the same guitar amp! Then one for vocals. Totally high school style.

“But it all worked because we were on fire as a band, and we had some good songs. The bonus tracks are either acoustic tracks in the vein of ‘Spin My Wheels’ that were deemed not quite good enough. Or live tracks from the 4-track or ADAT that I abandoned in favor of another version. A few things I had no recollection of creating and were a nice surprise. The real interesting thing about the bonus CD is that it shows the two distinctly different creative personas of Cotton Mather at the time that we were trying to marry and successfully did on the final product.

“There is the hard rocking guitar pop band that played with utter abandon and then there is at the core this very sweet and reflective song life. The bonus CD only works because you know from the classic disc that I was in the end able to pull the disparate elements into a focused artistic statement.”

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/mu ... kontinued/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:46 pm 

I listened to this album a lot in the late-90s, and remember it being excellent melodic power-pop. It's been at least 10 years since I heard it, so I may have to revisit it to see if the expanded version is worth seeking out.

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:27 am 
Helpful Librarian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:32 am 
Some kind of Bumsnoidial Buttsnoid

I regret that I was not able to contribute to the Kickstarter, because I was low on funds back then. I will definitely purchase it, though (hell, it's half the price I thought it would be, and I still would have bought it).

Profile E-mail  

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 pm 
Helpful Librarian

As part of the promotion for this release, Cotton Mather reunited to play at SXSW:

Who is WANline