“Cover not final.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  ( Next )
 Post subject: [2014-02-04] Small Faces new box set + regular album reissues (Sanctuary/Universal/Snapper UK)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 am 
Top of the Pops 65-68

I was surfing the internet today, looking for a good Small Faces forum, came across a very good one in Yahoo Groups. Run by a gent named Mick Taylor, it goes back to 1999, tons of posts. You need to join up to read them all, but there's lots of vital info there.

The big news is there are at least 6 reissues coming down the pipeline, none with official dates yet, all supposedly on the UMe label, and with the blessings of Mac and Kenney.

A new box set will include previously unreleased tracks such as Be My Baby, Now You're Here And Love Is Gone, and the SF version of If You Think You're Groovy.

The BBC Sessions will be re-released with more tracks.

And their 2 albums on Decca (Small Faces and From The Beginning) and 2 on Immediate (Small Faces and Ogden's Nut Gone Flake) will be reissued in 2 or 3 CD versions each, perhaps something like the Kinks' latest deluxe editions.

Bring 'em on, bring 'em on, bring 'em on !!

Added by Linda:

Amazon USA

Amazon UK

Post subject: [2014-02-04] Small Faces new box set + regular album reissues (Sanctuary/Universal/Snapper UK)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 am 
Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

I can't wait!!!!!!!....I was going to post this when more info became available. I'll buy every single release that comes out of this!

You should join the Yahoo Groups list - been on it for years and it's alot of great conversation. Many knowledgeable people there. There's also a great Marriott/Humble Pie group on Yahoo - Mijit Mail.

:TheBeatles:
Hail Atlantis!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:20 am 

I would expect the releases to be UK-only. Universal's rights to Immediate Records recordings is UK-only. Charly Records holds all non-UK rights to "Immediate Records". Still, as the compiler of a fair to middling Small Faces box set(the 4-CD set "The Immediate Years", released in 1995 by Charly Records), I look forward to these releases.

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 am 

how many times will this be for "ogden's nut gone"?

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 pm 
The Pope of Pop!

Bannings: Banned??? Moi???
The Decca material has been reissued and anthologized up the wazoo.

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:10 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Bannings: If you're not nice
Charles wrote:
I can't wait!!!!!!!....I was going to post this when more info became available. I'll buy every single release that comes out of this!

+2. Right behind you and Robin.

(Now if they could just get it together and release 1862 too ....)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 pm 

......and because of really bad deals back then, the Small Faces (and estates) haven't made any money from the many releases.

These will be legit for them.

http://www.ianmclagan.com/faq.htm#labels

Hail Atlantis!!!!

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:16 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Jimbo wrote:

The 40th Anniversary Edition of their debut album, released in 2006, had remarkably improved sound quality compared to previous releases:

Amazon USA:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HT34PW/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HT34PW/?tag=imwan-21

(Jimbo, wasn't it one of the first CDs you and I discussed when ICE moved into IMWAN? I seem to recall that.)

My hope is that similarly excellent sources exist for the other Decca material, which would make new editions extra-worthwhile, on top of whatever fresh bonus tracks they unearth.

ICE Mod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:45 pm 
The Pope of Pop!

Bannings: Banned??? Moi???
Linda wrote:
(Jimbo, wasn't it one of the first CDs you and I discussed when ICE moved into IMWAN? I seem to recall that.)

Could well be. :ohyes:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:46 pm 

Linda wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

The 40th Anniversary Edition of their debut album, released in 2006, had remarkably improved sound quality compared to previous releases:

Amazon USA:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HT34PW/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HT34PW/?tag=imwan-21

My hope is that similarly excellent sources exist for the other Decca material, which would make new editions extra-worthwhile, on top of whatever fresh bonus tracks they unearth.

Yeah, I have this and Yes, the sound was greatly improved from previous versions. Played this many times upon purchase, need to pull this out again.

Rick A.

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:34 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Here's one of the tracks that I hope will be included in the box (or on the 1862 release some magical day in the future). One of the last things The Small Faces did before splitting was to serve as the backing band for French singer Johnny Hallyday on his album Riviere Ouvre Ton Lit. You can hear the Faces clearly on every song -- it's basically a Small Faces album with a different lead singer:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004T428/?tag=imwan-20

One of the tracks they recorded with Hallyday was a reworked version of their own song "That Man", now titled "Amen". What makes this track extra-special is that Peter Frampton plays on it as well. Remember that Steve Marriott originally wanted to bring Frampton into The Small Faces as a fifth member, and when the other guys vetoed it, that became another reason for Marriott to soon quit the group (and form Humble Pie with Frampton). So on this track we can hear what The Small Faces would have sounded like with Frampton as lead guitarist -- it's good! Even better, YouTube has an unreleased instrumental version without Hallyday's vocals getting in the way:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:00 am 

I forgot about the Hallyday album....just ordered one.

Hail Atlantis!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:10 pm 

According to Britain's Uncut magazine(July 2011 issue), Universal Music/UK will be releasing a Small Faces box set in late 2011 or early 2012. This set will include some unreleased songs and outtakes, and is approved by Kenney Jones & Ian McLagan. However, be cautioned that the set will be compiled by ELO/Move/Wizzard compiler, fanzine & fan site operator Rob Caiger. While Mr. Caiger has certainly compiled some good product by those artists, most of them were hung up in a typical 2 years of postponements before release, and some projects(such as a box set by "The Idle Race") never happened. Mr. Caiger has a prickly temper, and my criticisms of the lengthy repeat postponements on some his projects got me banned from the forum at his ELO website. That ELO website no longer has a "contact us" function, which is unfortunate. Mr.Caiger doesn't want to hear from fans.
His compiling activities with the ELO family tree of artists have now apparently come to an end. He reached the limit of what the record companies or artists were willing to release.

As some of you know, I was the compiler of the Charly Records 4-CD box set "Small Faces-The Immediate Years", which was largely dubbed from existing CD's & vinyl, with some(Disc Four) tracks from tape. Too bad that there's no way to contact Mr.Caiger, to tell him, that amongst 98 reels of "Immediate Records" Olympic Studios multitracks obtained by Charly subsequent to the release of "The Immediate Years", there is a modest quantity of "Small Faces" multitracks. Many of these tapes, formerly held by Germany's Repertoire label, were mixed down for use on Repertoire CD's, but there's a few things which Repertoire didn't use.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:22 pm 
Top of the Pops 65-68

Here’s an update. I posted on the Small Faces Yahoo group, asking if anyone knew the status of the upcoming SF reissues. The group owner Mick Taylor responded back in 3 posts, saying (his words):

(1) The box set is scheduled for early next year. I was talking to PP Arnold about it and she said she was rung up for any rarities she might have but she had none. They were after demo of Groovy but unfortunately its nowhere to be found as yet.

(2) Ive not heard a thing about reissues but i believe there is another dvd coming out. Maybe john hellier knows about reissues?

(3) For those that have just asked about small Faces reissues it just seems that all the official albums have been remastered in 2011. heres a review of the Ogdens album.........

Released as part of the upgrading of the Small Faces legendary back catalogue, this album is re-released uncluttered by bonus tracks and as the group originally intended. The surviving members Kenny Jones and Ian McLagan have overseen the remastering of each album and the new booklets feature sleevenotes by respected music writer Mark Paytress (Mojo, The Times).

So then I went to Amazon UK and US, and sure enough there are 3 SF remastered reissues that just came out, all on Oct 10, 2011, and all with no bonus cuts:

(a) their first Decca album “Small Faces”

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005GPFFA4/?tag=imwan-21

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GPFFA4/?tag=imwan-20

CD Description
Released as part of the upgrading of the Small Faces legendary back catalogue, this album is re-released uncluttered by bonus tracks and as the group originally intended. Small Faces is the debut album of the Small Faces, released in 1966. It includes the hit singles "Whatcha Gonna Do About It" and "Sha-La-La-La-Lee". The album rose to number three in the UK album chart remaining at the top for several weeks

The album was recorded at the IBC Studios, Portland Place, London in February 1966. Glyn Johns was the studio engineer. Jimmy Winston was asked to leave after the band's second single "I've Got Mine" released on 5 November 1965 failed to make the charts. He still appears on many tracks on this album, including joint writing contributions to "It's Too Late" and providing keyboards and vocals on various tracks. Winston's replacement Ian McLagan appears on the album cover

The surviving members Kenny Jones and Ian McLagan have overseen the remastering of each album and the new booklets feature sleevenotes by respected music writer Mark Paytress (Mojo, The Times).

(b) their first Immediate album “Small Faces”

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005AEQWZI/?tag=imwan-21

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AEQWZI/?tag=imwan-20

CD Description
Released as part of the upgrading of the Small Faces legendary back catalogue, this album is re-released uncluttered by bonus tracks and as the group originally intended. Small Faces, the second studio album by the English rhythm and blues band Small Faces was released via Immediate Records in June 1967, peaking at number 12 in the UK Album Chart. The surviving members Kenny Jones and Ian McLagan have overseen the remastering of each album and the new booklets feature sleevenotes by respected music writer Mark Paytress (Mojo, The Times).

(c) then Ogden’s Nug Gone Flake

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005AEQX0W/?tag=imwan-21

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AEQX0W/?tag=imwan-20

CD Description
Released as part of the upgrading of the Small Faces legendary back catalogue, this album is re-released uncluttered by bonus tracks and as the group originally intended. The surviving members Kenny Jones and Ian McLagan have overseen the remastering of each album and the new booklets feature sleevenotes by respected music writer Mark Paytress (Mojo, The Times).

No sightings on Amazon yet of new versions of From The Beginning, The Autumn Stone, or an expanded BBC Sessions. Maybe the new box will contain all the leftovers.

So that’s where we stand as of now, plus or minus…

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:58 am 

I just bought all 3 from Amazon UK

Hail Atlantis!!!!

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:35 pm 
Helpful Librarian

Same here, but ... "uncluttered by bonus tracks"? Looks like I'm going to have to keep 5 version of each album in my collection now rather than the, erm, sensible 4 versions. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:39 pm 

Linda wrote:
Same here, but ... "uncluttered by bonus tracks"? Looks like I'm going to have to keep 5 version of each album in my collection now rather than the, erm, sensible 4 versions. :-)

I think I'm on 6 with Ogdens (lost count) :D

I wonder why Mac & Kenny didn't mention/promote the release of these?
It shouldn't have taken a question to the Yahoo group for people to find out about them.

Hail Atlantis!!!!

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 pm 
Helpful Librarian

BTW, if those audio clips at Amazon are actually from these releases rather than stock catalogue samples, then the two Immediate era remasters are in stereo.

I hope they find a place in this series for mono remasters, as well as all the discarded bonus tracks from previous editions ... and I really hope they find that demo of "If You Think You're Groovy" ... but so far this seems underwhelming compared to what was promised. (McLagan and Jones ran the Stewart/Wood Faces remaster series over a cliff. Please let's not see that happen here.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:32 pm 
Top of the Pops 65-68

Yeh, I'm slightly underwhelmed, too. Was hoping for at least 13 CDs worth of stuff. Maybe they'll spring for a 6 CD box, with 1862 in there somewhere. I'll jump in though, no matter what...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:50 am 
Top of the Pops 65-68

Breaking news !! :yay: :yahoo: : UKflag:

The massive SF reissues are still on track for 2012, 3 CD versions of all 5 albums (SF Decca, From The Beginning, SF Immediate, Ogdens, Autumn Stone), plus a 6 to 7 CD box set. (which begs the question, what are those 2011 reissues that just came out in Oct and approved by Kenney & Mac?) Here are the details as posted at the Small Faces Yahoo group and the Wapping Wharf Facebook page:

from Iain McGonigal, who's involved with the new box set 2012, to Mick Taylor:

Mick
And all
Rob Caiger has the master tapes for Ogdens – I can vouch for that as I have held them in my hand !!
Some of them he got from Andrew Oldham
Rob shared with me that over the years NONE of the Small Faces remasters have been done from the original master tapes – but in fact from acetates or other source material
This is one of the reasons the forthcoming 2012 releases will be so special
For example I have a 3 CD set here of the remastered Ogdens - - FANTASTIC
Both from the view point of sound quality – and also alternate takes
You will have noticed now that after years and years of a glut of SF releases on the market 0 there have been none for the last 3-4 years – all in anticipation of this 2012 set of releases

my question to Mick:

Hmmm... Iain says he has a 3 CD set of the remastered Ogdens, and a remastered Kenney/Mac approved Ogdens just came out in Oct in a 1 CD version. So they're releasing the CDs in deluxe and non-deluxe versions? Plus a new box set?

Mick's response:

Sorry Robin, thought i'd answred you. same as a i said to Drew. early 2012 there is going to be a deluxe box set containg 6 to 7 cd's PLUS a 3-cd box set for each 5 albums released. 1/ Decca "small faces". 2/ Decca "from the beggining". 3/ ...Immediate "small Faces". 4/ Ogdens. 5/ Autumn Stones. Each album containg 3 cd's of remasters 2012 and alternate versions and takes plus work in progress tracks like a 15 minute work in progress version of Tin Soldier. Im beggining to doubt after what Iain has said is to what source the 2011 remasters are taken from. If mac and keeny aproved them but they are not from the original tapes then to me thats ripping people off? some confusion somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:57 am 

Great news.....although I now stupidly bought the October 2011 "remasters."

I'll buy everything that comes out next year.

Hail Atlantis!!!!

IMWAN Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:08 pm 
Helpful Librarian

The line forms here! :yahoo:

Amazon USA:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WNFK7W/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006WNFK7W/?tag=imwan-21

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  ( Next )

Who is WANline